I'm doing an extract need yeast info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesseroberge

Reaction score
Hi there i'm usialy a all grain brewer, I never brewed a kit before, I went from nothing ro all grain when I started... Lack of time and also the fact that I wanna try an extract once is why i'm doing this...

Can I sub the powder yeast for american ale 2 wyeast . I'm gonna do a 500 g of DME 700 g of dextrose . My kit is a coopers canadian blonde

Mu

Yooper said:
You can use whichever yeast strain you prefer. Extract/all grain/partial mash doesn't matter- it's still wort and will ferment the same way.

Yooper thanks to be there for me when I need :) Can I ferment for the same time I ferment my AG ?

How bad is the taste going to be compared to an AG ?? I'm doing a 500 DME and 700 dextrose...

If you follow a good process, it'll be good. I brew both AG and extract, and honestly, I think it's easier to make a great AG brew than a great extract brew. It sounds like you're doing a "kit and kilo" type brew, I've never done one personally, but I'd say if you follow good brewing practice and use the wyeast, you'll get a good beer. Especially considering the ease of the brew day.

It will taste like **** I assume. I'm not sure about your measurements, as I am american and more familiar with pounds and ounces(also too lazy to do the math to convert it). But it appears as if you have more sugar than dme, and that's not gonna make good beer.

All DME added to the can would be better.Along with maybe 2oz of hops. See my recipes for suggestions along these lines.

unionrdr said:
All DME added to the can would be better.Along with maybe 2oz of hops. See my recipes for suggestions along these lines.

Thanks bro :) will do, I am very excited to see what she will give out :) I just did the kit with 500DME and 700 dextrose :) I pitched a american ale 2 smack pack :)

I hope this beer will be good in the keg and not too diferent from my AG batches :)

unionrdr said:
I now prefer all DMe added to the mix vs DME & dextrose, or BE1.

I will do next time ;) What would be the quantity ? 500g + 700g = 1200g or 1.2 kg of DME ?

Feeling less lazy now and sorry about the dickish comment. 3lbs is 1.36 kg of dme if you're using unions recipe or,your 1.2 kg will be 2.65 lbs. It's still ok to add dextrose to your extract recipe, but it's just straight sugar really, no body or real flavor. I wouldn't have more than around 10% sugah!

Homebrew update, after brewing a kit and kilo, "see above" for the starting stuff, 21 days of set and forget in my fermenting bucket I started with an OG of 1.044 and finished at 1.012 for an ABV of 4.2%

I found the test tube sample clear as water , I was very impressed, the taste was good but lacked taste or body a bit it tasted water I guess :)

Maby if I would have added only DME instead of corn sugar and DME...

I kegged the beer at 20 PSI for a few days then i'll bring it back down to 13 or 14 PSI... Fridge temp is 45 degrees ....

Back