What the heck skin ailment did I have

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porcupine73

Reaction score
Oh boy this is the drunken ramlbing forum right ok good, so what the heck skin ailment did I have? I was itching pretty badly on my legs and arms for many months, and finally I took some very well fermented kombucha and just slathered it all over myself for a couple days. It freaking burned like crazy but - it also made the itching go way down. Well dang I stopped after a couple days, and the itching is gone and the skin is cleared way up. Dang I think I might have had scabies or something from hiking in the woods I have no idea, BUT - thumbs up for kombucha!!!!!!!!

Hm that could be, I have had that from time to time on my wrist diagnosed by a real MD though I don't put much faith in that anymore. I don't know, I did have marks that looked somewhat like what they describe for scabies. I did the kombucha slathering for a few days because it said the scabies thingies couldn't live more than 3 days outside the human body ... though their eggs will still hatch in ahh what the heck was it now like 14 or 21 days maybe. The kombucha is extremely interesting, I wasn't sure it would do anything, but wow it certainly did.

Post a pic of an unscratched area and I will do my best to tell you

Great, thanks, here's a couple, these are much much improved from what they were before. The ones on the arms are pretty much completely gone so I didn't take any pics. I think some of these might be flea related possibly but not sure, thanks again!

DSCN0553.jpg

DSCN0556.jpg

Hm interesting, yes I think we do have poison oak in this area, mainly poison ivy from what I have seen. The sort of 'weird' thing about it was I felt like something was burrowing into my skin in various specific places at various times, and that would make me scratch like crazy. The kombucha burned heck at first but it would stop the itching for a number of hours afterwards. So I just kept going it, and it really seems to have quit the itching for over a week, so now I think it finally gets a chance to heal up.

Oh man water lice that could be, I have hiked through open creekbeds quite often. Hm now that I think about this, one of the first time I noticed this problem was like 15 years ago days after hiking fairly deeply through this waterway ...

DSCN0504.jpg

Hmmm, I was leaning towards chiggers after seeing you walked through tall grasses, but if it's happened before after walking in water, it may be from that. I've only heard of lice in lakes, but I don't see why they wouldn't be in creeks too. Looks like a gorgeous place to go hiking, BTW.

Thanks, yes that place is magical, absolutely unreal, especially when the leaves turn in the fall. It's a big state land area, one of my favorite places.

Oh crap now the google ads are showing me 'do you have MS?' Google now has me branded for life.

i was thinking they looked like bug bites too. My legs looks like that after a flea invasion we had a couple years back.

AGUHH it's back, at least the burning/itching. It's my legs, the backs of my knees and my forearms and a little on my chest. I've promised myself digging/scratching is no longer allowed. So I'm slathering more well fermented kombucha on anywhere it itches. It works but it takes about 15 minutes to kick in. And it smells something roughly akin to what I imagine moose urine smells like but it dissipates quickly. Hm I wonder if the itching part might be some allergic thing.

My parents had a major flea infestation over the summer (they're elderly and have cats/dogs) that it took me a few months to get under control with Advantage, I know I got bit some from those but I was careful to make sure I didn't bring those fleas into my own home.

MAHH now whatever it is, is attempting to burrow into the front of my neck. That's a first. I think it was put off by the slathering of well fermented kombucha everwhere else it was trying to burrow in. So the neck just got slathered too, almost immediate relief. But where will they try next.

porcupine73 said:
MAHH now whatever it is, is attempting to burrow into the front of my neck. That's a first. I think it was put off by the slathering of well fermented kombucha everwhere else it was trying to burrow in. So the neck just got slathered too, almost immediate relief. But where will they try next.

Duuuude. Looks like bug bites. Take some Benadryl. Do you have carpets in your house? Don't underestimate those crazy fleas. Pour salt all over the carpet, vacuum it up in two days.

Thanks man, it's something alright, yes there is some carpeting in here, some extremely old some no so old. I may pour salt on the carpets and just leave it there. The kombucha works well, I put it wherever I feel them burrowing in and it takes care of it in about 15 minutes, but they often try another location, I guess until I'm completely covered in kombucha and there is no place else left to try. Damn if that doesn't all sound weird but that's the way it's playing out.

Any between the webs of your fingers? If so then scabies, if not flea bites. Bomb the house, use hydrocortisone on the lesions. If thy till itch, ask doc for triminolone .

Thanks, there is one or two between the webs of the fingers, but I get those from time to time either way. I have some triamcinalone acetenoid I think it says, some kind of steroidal ointment for that, which I have been using somewhat on the bad spots. Last night it was extremely bad right on the backs of the knees, there seems to be some bites there but I can't really see the back of my knees so I'm not sure. I might have been scratching at it.

It seems to be coming and going. For a good week there it was fine and everything was healing up then within the last day it seems to be picking up again. Though after putting the kombucha all over it and waiting a while the feeling goes away. It's like I can literally feel something digging into me. But sometimes I think it's weird because I'll feel it on opposite sides of the body in the same spot at the same time which makes me think that is a strange coincidence, but it isn't always like that.

If you we're my patient I would treat you for scabies. It's a topical cream. You should call your doc for a prescription. The steroid cream will help the itching but not get rid of it. When I was an intern, we did a rotation at the VA and I saw another intern's pt for a rash that turned out to be scabies. It's contagious and the other intern developed it while on his honey moon.

Thanks, I appreciate your response. Ok I'll have to give a call for an appt. NY in its infinite, protect our residents from themselves wisdom, won't allow a Dr to prescribe anything unless they've seen the patient in person within the last year.

Today wasn't too bad, not any real burrowing detected at all.

Hi, it seems to be getting better. I don't feel the like something is burrowing into my skin anymore and it is clearing up. Thanks!

Back