Melomel question for newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regulatedhobbyist

Reaction score
First I would like to say hello to all of you. I have read this forum for the last several weeks and attempting to glen even an nth of what you all know. Wow there is a lot here. So... I have JAOM (1 gall) going in primary right now. It was my first batch ever.

Well, I have a blackberry melomel (1 Gall) in that I used -

1.2 lbs blackberries - frozen thawed then pureed
4 (ish) pounds clover honey
Lalvin EC 1118

O.G. - 1.126 @ 85 *F
current gravity - 1.002

It stopped bubbling 9 days in and I racked it onto another 18 oz of blackberries prepped as above. The fermentation seems to have taken off again, not mad, but some. My concern is that already, two-thirds of the blackberries are already resting at the bottom of the growler. They seem to be pale(er) and mushier (then they were as puree :eek: ). Is the EC 1118 eating through this second helping of blackberries this quickly?

Also, if this is the case, when should I rack off the fruit? I intend to have a bit higher ABV, that is why I went with the EC 1118. I'm not worried about taste, it's already pretty good from the 'samples' I had pulled.

The EC-1118 is going to keep eating sugar as long as you feed it, until it hits that 18% ABV or so.

I actually hope it does. I'm thinking that because of my smaller batches and the limited budget I am given by the missus, the less I have to drink at one time the better. It'll last longer.:cross:

catch is the high alcohol yeasts can often start to taste poor when pushed to it limits. if it tastes good then leave it at that.

It's just super dry. Should I consider conditioning it with sulphite and sorbate? then back sweeten? or should I wait until it's done fermenting and then back sweeten.

The main reason for the post is not to discuss the yeast.

I am asking about the fruit (blackberries) already settling. It is now day three, and almost all of the blackberries have settled to the bottom. is this normal? If so, how long should I leave it on there.

Repeat - I am not worried about the yeast. I already have that part figured out. But thank you for trying to help this newbie out.

sorry can't help with blackberries themselves but i would say yeast are eating them. there is little co2 being made so it won't be lifted to the top.
i would just leave it till its done unless taste is to strong already.

you will need to rack it off the yeast (remove as much yeast as possible) before you sulfite/sorbate and backsweeten.

Did you put in whole berries or chop/blend them up? From my short experience, the finer the cut, the faster the sink.

Did you put in whole berries or chop/blend them up? From my short experience, the finer the cut, the faster the sink.
very bad practice to chop/blend or crush fruit with seeds, as they can impart a distinct bitterness.

It does appear that it's best to freeze the fruit for 3 or 4 days, then defrost it. That breaks the cell walls allowing the yeast to get to the juice/flavour/colour in the most efficient way, while not damaging the seeds/pips.

Back