Dusseldorf Altbier Brewery visit - Fuchschen - Pics & Youtube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got back from Dusseldorf, home of the Dusseldorf Altbier. Man I love altbier. I think I drank every one in town including Schlussel, Shumacher, Fuchschen, Gatz, Eurige, Frankenheim, and perhaps others.

When at the Eurige brewery, I was introduced to one of their on-duty brewers. I was quite surprised to see he was an american, and formerly a homebrewer from North Carolina. I asked many techinical questions and tried to get a yeast sample but, sadly, Eurige is very closed-mouth about all of this. No tour or anything. He told me that I was the first person to ever ask for yeast (hefe) since his arrival there 2 years prior.

Im Fuchschen
Fuchschen_-_front_of_building_2.JPG

Fuchschen's policy apparently is quite different. The on-duty brewer there came out to greet me and 3 of my friends. He was very friendly and chatty, and determined to answer any questions I had with as much english as he could muster. His name was something like Ollie ( but with a long Ō ). He took us through the restaurant and down into the brewery, and then described the brewing process there. This was interspersed with frequent samplings of very fresh beer straight from the brighting tanks. Absolute blast.

Unfortunately, I was not prepared for this kind of tour (I was just on a mission to get a yeast sample), so I failed to ask many relevant brewing questions. I did learn that they do multiple induction steps in which they fire the oil burner below the mash tun to raise the temp through several steps (they do NOT do decoctions). They use about 90% pilsner, 2% carafa, some accidulated malt, and some other minute grain additions that he didn't mention (in his words, he though they were unnecessary but the master brewers insisted on adding them). The mash tun was the standard large copper job, and there was some sort of SS mixing bar in the bottom. When we were there, there was water with a gypsum addition sitting in the bottom of the fermenter.

Their mash process takes about 2.5 hours, then the wort is pumped to a large lauter tun tank. Don't know much about that, or the subsequent boil. They do a single 60 minute hop addition of Tradition. They use both pellet and hop extract (which I embarrassingly stuck my fingers into). No late hop additions.

Initial fermentation is in large stone open fermenters. They were covered with hugh frothy yeast krausen; there was absolutely no protection from bugs. You'd have to see this to believe it (see video links below). Initial fermentation is only 2 days, but considering the huge amounts of fresh krausening yeast they used, I believe the fermentation is that quick. OG ~10°P, transfer from initial fermenter to large SS tanks at about 4°P, where the beer continued fermenting until about about 2°P. These are pressurized tanks, with a relief valve set to about 1 bar (15psi). I think he said the beer sits in these tanks for 10 days.

Ollie talking with us
Ollie_and_group_by_SS_tanks.JPG

They do their own kegging, but I believe the bottling was done elsewhere (could be wrong on that). They have an impressive robotic filling system for the different keg sizes. All of the kegs I saw were some sort of plastic: I didn't see a single SS keg over there.

At the end of the night, we went back up and got a bunch more beer. Our server, Dirk, and Ollie sat with us and we had fun for several more hours. Real blast.

Altbiers and my Yeast Sample!
Fuchschen_-_alts_on_table_with_yeast_1.JPG

Note that bottle of yeast in the pic above. I brought that back, and it's growing right now on my stir plate. Will be brewing a big batch of altbier this Thanksgiving weekend. Woohoo.

Here's some lively videos from our visit to the brewery. Video is from my iPhone, so please excuse the quality. I think the only one I'm in is kneeling next to a SS pot of yeast (my coat went right into it, on the floor).

to the Brewery!
explains mash tun
and Me
from tanks with Ollie
Burner under mash tun
[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ylRdhGQk9s[/URL]
Cheers with Ollie and Dirk and group

Last edited:
Wow! All this information on Fuchschen is amazing, and much appreciated. When I was last in Dusseldorf I had yet to start brewing so I knew nothing to think of asking specific brewing questions. That said, my desire for altbier is actually what kick-started my homebrewing hobby! And you got a sample of their yeast too, direct from the open fermenters! Again, wow! :mug:

I am stoked for you, and it seems like you did Dusseldorf well.

:mug:

just brewed my first dusseldorf altbier from AHB the other day. It wont be ready for a couple of weeks, but when I kegged it it smelled and looked awesome.

It also had chocalote malt and I had my doubts during the boil, but that part of it fermented out awesome.

Great trip by the way, what made you go there?

We have close friends who live in Dusseldorf. Had the pleasure of a take home party keg for a birthday party. It was Fuchschen... but, sadly, we didn't go to the brewery.. the host did.. as I wasn't interested in beer at the time. Alt is a great beer.

Another local favorite there, I believe it's locally brewed only in "D" is a liquor that to some is medicinal.. similar to Jaegermeister. It's called Kilipich.. I think that's the spelling. We visited the place in downtown and enjoyed a few shots. Now, when they visit.. or we visit.. we bring back about a liter.

just brewed my first dusseldorf altbier from AHB the other day. It wont be ready for a couple of weeks, but when I kegged it it smelled and looked awesome.

It also had chocalote malt and I had my doubts during the boil, but that part of it fermented out awesome.

Great trip by the way, what made you go there?

Business. Medical equipment trade show.

Very cool - thanks for sharing - I love alts as well. My latest Sticke came out quite nice. Good luck with the yeast. Did you check out the Fuchschen website? It's hilarious!

Very cool - thanks for sharing - I love alts as well. My latest Sticke came out quite nice. Good luck with the yeast. Did you check out the Fuchschen website? It's hilarious!

Thanks, I hadn't checked out that site before. Note the red fox at the site. Fuchschen is german for fox. Back in the day, the altstadt (old town) of dusseldorf did not have numbers on the buildings. Each structure had an "animal", such as unicorn or fox. Fuchschen was the red fox. That's how they got the name.

I'm hoping the yeast does a good job. It is very active right now. I plan on making a big batch of it and pitching at high krausen. I'm sure glad it didn't get pulled at customs in Miami.

It's called Kilipich.. I think that's the spelling. We visited the place in downtown and enjoyed a few shots. Now, when they visit.. or we visit.. we bring back about a liter.

We call that killabitch. I'll never drink that stuff again. Several years ago I hit that stuff hard (in the altstadt) and the next morning was murder. I have no recollection of dancing with italian women all night... I was shown cell phone pictures of me in clubs that I couldn't remember.

Good stuff and nice snatch'n on the yeast!!

I was in Dusseldorf the last week of October on a beer trip through the Netherlands, Belgium & western Germany. We had a tour & lunch at Uerige, then did an alt crawl and hit 'em all. The altstadt is beautiful and I will for SURE go back soon. Between Dusseldorf & Cologne is a tough pick though. Both were great cities, with great people and AWESOME beer (and food!)!!!

DSC00936.jpg

DSC00937.jpg

DSC00938.jpg

DSC00950.jpg

DSC00964.jpg

those roasted pork shanks are the best, better than beer i dare say. i was living in basel switzerland long ago and my girlfriend's father, german by birth, would go to germany on weekends and come back with those pork shanks. they don't taste the same anywhere else.

passedpawn, that was fabulous. Thanks for sharing your visit. :mug:

Looked like a cool trip. I'd like to visit upper Bavaria where my family is from myself. I envy you for being able to go on business & get that much pleasure out of it too!

Looked like a cool trip. I'd like to visit upper Bavaria where my family is from myself. I envy you for being able to go on business & get that much pleasure out of it too!

Yep, I've seen a lot of the world at other's expense. Can't complain. This was at least my 4th or 5th trip to Dusseldorf.

Wish I had scheduled a day or two to get to Cologne. Last time I was in that area I got on a train and jumped off at every medium-sized town, hit the local brewery, got back on the train, repeat. Had a ball.

We call that killabitch. I'll never drink that stuff again. Several years ago I hit that stuff hard (in the altstadt) and the next morning was murder. I have no recollection of dancing with italian women all night... I was shown cell phone pictures of me in clubs that I couldn't remember.

Ya either like it or ya don't.. I'm one that does.. :ban:

Wish I had scheduled a day or two to get to Cologne. Last time I was in that area I got on a train and jumped off at every medium-sized town, hit the local brewery, got back on the train, repeat. Had a ball.

that's what we did too. we were staying in Cologne in the Dom Square, hoped the train to Dusseldorf for the day. Same thing in Brussels. Hope a short train from central station to Cantillion for the tour and tasting.

those roasted pork shanks are the best, better than beer i dare say. i was living in basel switzerland long ago and my girlfriend's father, german by birth, would go to germany on weekends and come back with those pork shanks. they don't taste the same anywhere else.

for sure! the one at Uerige was one of the best ones I've ever had. the skin on it was like candy! :rockin: their mustard rocked too....

Really nice lookin place. Looks very familiar somehow.

it was. i was on a beer trip in '09 and on the way from a few days in Prague, we stopped here for the night on our way to Munch for Oktoberfest. Great dinner and beers with the brewer. I read they have a hop festival in Eck too that's a hoot.

That hop festival sounds like fun. And those pork shanks looked rockin. I've been wanting to take my wife to the town my ancestor's were from. The wall ran right through the middle of it when I could still remember the name. Wortemburg,I think?...At any rate,I remember it being in what they call upper Bavaria.

I'm a schnitzel nut, so I get a lot of that over there. Unfortunately, I never find veal schnitzel. Ziguener- and Jaeger- are my favorites. The best of both I've ever had are at a little German restaurant right here in Florida though.

one of the best schnitzels i had in Germany this trip (in Cologne, Jaeger schnitzel with the fried egg was off the hook!)

a little different than the Bavarian schnitzels i've had in Muncih/Bamberg, but still crazy good.

photo.JPG

Did you try any of the german smoked beer? Fun stuff...I bet it tastes way better fresh than the bottles we get in the states.

Did you try any of the german smoked beer? Fun stuff...I bet it tastes way better fresh than the bottles we get in the states.

Oh yeah! Fassla, Greifenklau, Schlenkerla (with a Bamberg onion!), Kessman, Mahrs and Spezial (my fav one). So far, Bamberg has been my favorite German experience. The rauchbiers were incredible. Even saw the big Weyermann Malting house (smelled like heaven!).

damn, y'all are killing me making me relive all my trips... gotta go back!!!

Super jealous. I'm about half-way through 5 gal of my 1st Altbier now. I'm loving it so much but my 1st two reviews from friends didn't yeild great reviews due to them not knowing what an Alt should taste like... so the rest is for me! Cheers fellow Alt fans.

I'm going to have to come up with an extract recipe for it. No pre-hopped either. Most likely a PM. Being from Upper Bavaria,I should do more German biers. But the English & Americans both are getting some good recipes.
Guess I just got hung up.

one of the best schnitzels i had in Germany this trip (in Cologne, Jaeger schnitzel with the fried egg was off the hook!)

a little different than the Bavarian schnitzels i've had in Muncih/Bamberg, but still crazy good.

I think that is called holstein schnitzel (with the egg). I've had it with a strip of anchovie over the egg. Yum.

I'm hoping to snag a six pack of the Fuchsen glasses in one of the OP's postings.. I have a "son" (exchange student who lived with us for a year) who lives in Dusseldorf and he is coming home to visit family and friends this weekend. He said, if he has time, he'll drop by the brewery and snag me 6 of them.. He didn't think they sold individually.

If anyone is interested in one or two.. let me know. We'll see what happens. Hopefully, he will be able to buy just one or two... more than enough for my collection..

I'm hoping to snag a six pack of the Fuchsen glasses in one of the OP's postings.. I have a "son" (exchange student who lived with us for a year) who lives in Dusseldorf and he is coming home to visit family and friends this weekend. He said, if he has time, he'll drop by the brewery and snag me 6 of them.. He didn't think they sold individually.

If anyone is interested in one or two.. let me know. We'll see what happens. Hopefully, he will be able to buy just one or two... more than enough for my collection..

Fuchschen does sell them. At least they had them in their display of saleables, with the tshirts.

I brought back a few myself. Alt glasses are designed for a 0.2L pour.

Back