Spice Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lx302

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Belgian Wit and using .5oz of Coriander at the end of the boil.
I recieved some seeded Coriander from a friend in a bag as he had extra.
I don't own a scale and was wondering after I crush the seeds, how much do I add in Tablespoons? 2 or 3?

Thanks for the help.

I don't know the conversion but I can say my last witbier had 1 tsp of cracked coriander. I think a couple tbsp would be way overpowering.

Also, buy a scale. You can get one scale accurate enough to weigh hops, grains, and extract all for under $30. It's well worth it, you'll get your money's worth!

15 grams is quite common for seeds. Different flavour to leaf though, but seed is what witbiers etc use primarily! Sorry I can't help past that. If nobody has replied by tomorrow I will measure for you. :)

15 grams is quite common for seeds. Different flavour to leaf though, but seed is what witbiers etc use primarily! Sorry I can't help past that. If nobody has replied by tomorrow I will measure for you. :)

Right, the recipe I found was 1.0 oz of crushed coriander seed or 14grams.
I'm not brewing till the weekend. So I can wait.
Thanks for doing this.

4 level teaspoons comes to 15 grams ish. The missus sent me downstairs, meh...now buy scales :p

Btw, those calcs are off - 1oz is 28g, .5oz is 14g. Double check on your recipe!

4 level teaspoons comes to 15 grams ish. The missus sent me downstairs, meh...now buy scales :p

Btw, those calcs are off - 1oz is 28g, .5oz is 14g. Double check on your recipe!

Your right, it was a typo. 14g or .5oz.

So 4 teaspoons or 2 Tablespoons.
I guess it is time to buy a scale.

Cheers!

Back