Peach Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bschot

Reaction score
I have access to some free peaches. My plan was to get about 15 lbs, follow a Jack Keller recipe for peach wine I found except, only add enough sugar to take to about 5-6% (which could be no sugar.) Ferment dry, stabilize, back-sweeten, keg, carb and imbibe.

My question is what yeast should I use? I've made apple cider with Lalvin E-1118, I let is sit in secondary for 5 months to clear and age. I don't want to wait that long again. I was thinking of Wyeast 1056 or some kind of clean fermenting beer yeast. And has anyone done anything like this? Any input is welcome.

Well as an update to this I've got my peaches, but I still can't figure out the yeast, I'm wondering about using a British Ale yeast as I was told it does a better job keeping the flavors in a pumpkin beer I'm planning.

You may consider using K1V-1116. It will finish dry but it should preserve the fruit flavors better.

I've used Nottingham, SO-4, English Cider, and K1v-1116 all with good results. Fruit has such simple sugar in it that the yeast finish quick and don't leave much of their own flavor behind.

I was wanting as quick turn around as possible. Hence, the beer yeast but I have a feeling I may have to suck it up and use cider or wine yeast.

I think all will take about the same amount of time and leave a very similar beverage. I'm using K1v-1116 in 6 gal apple cider and another sachet in 3 gal Peary. Preliminary samples taste great, like all the other yeast I have tried. It's cheapest too. It finished primary in about 3 days in each, and now is settling out clear. A cold crash will help later next week...

You could also try a high flocculating yeast like WY1968 or WY1275 or any of the English ale yeasts, but Nottingham is just like that, so why pay more?

Any reason for the choices of WY1968, 1275. I've got British Ale II. I was going to use for a pumpkin. Sounds like a good reason to start washing yeast. Or I could just go pick up a packet of Nottingham.

Back