Blackberry Wit- PM recipe open for suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swoods93631

Reaction score
Well I posted this in the recipes board but that seems to be a very quiet place... like someone is hunting wabbits or something... So I thought since I am new to this and just brewed my 3rd extract batch I was safe. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Hello All,

I am a learning newb and so far have only done extract brews. A distant family member offered to "sell" me her chest freezer to turn into a kegerator in exchange for a couple small batches of beer. First out she wants a Blackberry beer. I have read on here Wit's are good for a blackberry. I found a few ALL extract and a few AG and a couple funky looking PM's. So I kinda took the info from all the recipes I saw and threw a bit of my own together. Seeing as I am newb this may be a horrible recipe and would like some input from those who know better than I do.

Partial Mash Blackberry Wit

Brew Size 2 gallons

OG = 1.055
FG= 1.012
SRM= 4
IBU= 16.6
ABV= 5.7%

1 lb. 8 oz. Wheat DME
1 lb. Flaked Oats
1 lb. White Wheat Malt
8 oz. Carapils
.50 oz Hallertaur boil 60 mins
.25 corriander
3-4 lbs Blackberries
US-05 Yeast (comes from the Blue Moon thread)

I would add the blackberries to secondary for one week after primary fermentation is complete.

only thing i got is about the blackberries. 3-4lb is enough for a gallon of wine. just wondering if that much berry in a 2g batch will overpower everything else.

Ya I had read a post thatr said 1.5-2 lbs per gallon... Maybe 1 lbs. per gallon sounds a little more realistic?

And no one has any input on the recipe as a whole?

I wouldn't use US-05 for a Wit. Try Wyeast 3944 or similar.

Beyond that, the recipe looks good, but I would leave the beer on the blackberries for longer than a week, maybe 3.

I wouldn't use US-05 for a Wit. Try Wyeast 3944 or similar.

Beyond that, the recipe looks good, but I would leave the beer on the blackberries for longer than a week, maybe 3.

Thanks for the input. Thanks for letting me the recipe as a whoe looks good. The only reason I chose US-05 for the yeast was because of the Blue Moon clone thread that seemed to point to a us-05 type yeast insyead of the the useual you would use for a wit..... something to think about for me thats for sure. Thanks!

Back