Grapefruit APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanZarrella

Reaction score
I'm trying to do a grapefruit, west coast style APA for the SWMBO (since she's discovered she likes sierra nevada-type beers) Here's my recipe so far, would love feedback:

4lbs Light Dry Extract
2lbs Wheat Dry Extract
1lb American Crystal 60L
12oz Corn Sugar

@45 mins 1oz Perle pellet
@15 mins 1oz Cascade pellet
@flameout 1oz Citra pellet

WLP041 & WLP001

8oz Grapefruit Zest in Secondary

It's a good question. I suppose I could.
She really likes grapefruit and I think there's some tartness in them that the hops wouldn't exactly match.

What kind of schedule would you use for the simcoe/amarillo combination?
She doesn't like bitterness much, prefers the late hop addition flavor.

It's a good question. I suppose I could.
She really likes grapefruit and I think there's some tartness in them that the hops wouldn't exactly match.

What kind of schedule would you use for the simcoe/amarillo combination?
She doesn't like bitterness much, prefers the late hop addition flavor.

Bitter to about 25 IBUs (perle is fine for bittering), and then use .25 ounce of each simcoe and amarillo at 15 minutes, 5 minutes, and flame out. Dryhop with 1 ounce amarillo and .5 ounce simcoe if you need more.

I've never used grapefruit peel so I have no idea how to go about it.

Not too sure about the grapefruit, but I made a lemon APA not too long ago and added the lemon right to the boil...

added the zest of two lemons w/ 10 mins left and then another addition of two zested lemons at flameout...turned out super tasty...just enough of a lemon flavor in the beer and even provided some good citrusy aroma...

When I was researching, someone said they had added the zest of 3 lemons to secondary and it ended up tasting like lemon dish soap - too much lemon taste.

My recommendation would be to add it late in the boil as opposed to secondary. I'm only about 8 batches into my homebrewing "career", but I'm quickly learning that a little goes a long way for flavor when adding something to secondary...8 oz may not seem like a lot, but I think it might be a bit too much...unless it's only in there for a few days.

I guess you could check on it every once in a while until you get the taste you want.

Back