Alabama elections - run-off tomorrow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocBrown

Reaction score
Just wanted to remind everyone to vote in the run-off tomorrow. It doesn't matter whether you're a Republican or a Democrat (or independent for that matter) or even which primary you voted in. In Alabama, all registered voters are permitted to vote in run-off elections.

In case you didn't see my previous post on this topic, I have confirmed that Robert Bentley (candidate for Governor) is solidly opposed to homebrewing and other alcohol bills. I realize that there are other issues that are important to people, but homebrewing is currently a felony in this state and we're having enough trouble trying to get the legalization bill through the legislature. There is a decent change Republicans will take control of one or both legislative bodies this year, and they're likely to be less inclined to vote to overturn a Republican governor's veto (which will certainly be given on any Free the Hops or homebrew legalization bill).

Some of us are, but then again some of us dont see eye to eye with AL law. That's why we need to change this. Its too bad for AL political candidates(see Republicans) are pro family values, pro conservative ideals, pro guns, and so on that its difficult to make yourself marketable to the voting crowd without conforming to a lot of those laws. That being said I really wish the political atmosphere would change because AL could benefit so much from loosing its restrictive laws up.

Curious do they actually enforce the law? I mean homebrewing was illegal in Utah for years and years yet the local homebrew store was only a few blocks from the Capital. Just wondering do they honestly raid homebrewers or is it just a bs law that isnt enforced?

Just wondering.

No, they don't enforce it. The only case I know of (apart from kegkits, but you can search for threads about that here, and it's clear those issues have nothing to do with the fact that it's a homebrew supply shop) involving legal trouble for a homebrewer only resulted in a warning and came because a very antagonistic news article was published that included full names of a couple homebrewers in north Alabama. That said, it's not a particularly comfortable feeling to know that you're committing a felony every few weeks when you're outside doing something you love! All it would take would be for one young fired-up Southern Baptist alcohol control agent in conjunction with a like minded Attorney General to destroy the lives of a few peaceful homebrewers.

Back