priming sugar emergency!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
hello so I siphoned my beer into the bottleing container. Now the directions say I should have boiled the priming sugar then pour it into the bottling container...I did the oposite. I poured the beer into the bottling jug first... could that have scrwwed things up? should I maybe siphon the priming sugar into the beer now??

That's the recommended procedure so that the beer is mixed well and evenly with the priming sugar by the racking process. Just make sure you gently stir the beer after adding priming solution to it. If you don't distribute it evenly, you could get some bottles under-carbed and others over-carbed.

ok now second question the kit i got calls for 5 gallons i ended with four gallons do i use all of the priming sugar it came with still or take a little off the top??

You should use less priming sugar if you don't have the full 5 gallons. Use 1/5th less approximately. Too much sugar can cause the yeast to get too happy in the bottles and the bottles to explode (very unlikely but possible).

Well it turns out i was forced to sanitize my effin arm and go in and actually tighten the pourer on the amazing "ail pale" that i have because it was screwed on so i had a leak!!

Back