Clone beer ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yokomo

Reaction score
Hello all

I wish to try and make a clone of Budweiser American Ale for the wife. I want to use all liquid extracts

and dry yeast. This will be my third batch so I wish to use only easy ingredients. What dry yeast and

hops and spices would I use? My first batch is in the fermenter and going very slowly. The room temp

is 64 and I plan to leave it for three weeks before checking the SG.

Thanks for all the good info on this web site. It makes it easier to brew. I am sure mashing is in my

future.

Paul

Thanks for the info, but none of the articles had my criteria involved. I was looking for LME brewing and

using dry yeast. Maybe I'll just go with a American Pale Ale and see what happens to it.

Paul

As a fellow newb brewer who is also working on cloning a beer I have a couple thoughts to offer:

1) Check out "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels. Of several books I've read it has helped me immensely toward understanding what tweeks to make to move toward my final goal. Don't buy it though, check your local library - it's an older book. (I've renewed it twice now!)

2) Take the recipe direction from the links posted above, convert to an extract starting recipe and jump in. . .BUT - don't expect your first recipe to nail it. Expect to start wide of the mark, circle the landing strip and move closer each time you tweak & brew. Taste each attempt side-by side with a Bud Am. Ale. Try to break down the similarities/differences in: malt, hop, mouthfeel, carb, etc. Then tweak (read the Daniels book!)

3) Brew often, brew small. I'm learning that my final product is driven by technique as much as by ingredients. For my money, brewing a lot of small batches is moving me so much more quickly than brewing less frequent full batches - both recipe & technique! Hit the local grocery bakeries & get free buckets. Wash 'em, drill 'em, instal air locks & have a bunch of free smaller fermenters.

4) You picked kind of a tough one to cut your cloning teeth on. - Budweiser doesn't give any info on their site. Some craft brewers share quite a bit of info regarding hops, yeast, etc. . .Toward that end, anyone here drink enough Bud Am. Ale to compare to a similar craft beer? The "other" brewery site might give some additional insight toward the OP's recipe development. . . Anybody got a similar craft ale? (I've only had Bud Am. once.)

Finally - enjoy the journey. It's all beer! Approach as fun and you'll have fun. Ok, I'm just a newb, I'll shut up now.

any [/U]info on their site. Some craft brewers share quite a bit of info regarding hops, yeast, etc. . .Toward that end, anyone here drink enough Bud Am. Ale to compare to a similar craft beer? The "other" brewery site might give some additional insight toward the OP's recipe development. . . Anybody got a similar craft ale? (I've only had Bud Am. once.)

Actually they shared quite alot on BAA before it came out, like I show in the videos and other info in this post. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/shooting-bud-american-ale-99846/#post1094506

The videos pretty much have the grain bill, the hops used the IBU's, and the ABV, that's a heck of a lot to go by. In the intro of BYO's 150 clone brews issue, Chris Colby goes into great detail of how you can use that info, actually less, to get close to the beer you are cloning.

In fact this recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/mojave-red-112308/ was loosely based on that info. It's much more complex, full bodied and flavorful than BAA, but not too far off the mark. More like if a craft brewery how launched the beer instead.

Yep, that's fair. I skimmed all the threads (it was a lot of threads!) But I skipped the vids & missed your one post about the credits giving up the 4 hops. What I didn't see was an actual clone recipe posted. So I went to the Bud site out of curiosity and they def. don't give up any info there. Went back & watched the vids & you are absolutely right.

But I stand by my post. I may be green but I think I threw down some valid points for anyone trying to clone a specific beer. Either way, I hope the OP will stay with the quest to brew his SWMBO a Bud Am. Ale & post updates of the journey.

Back