safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamjaPA

Reaction score
Hey guys, need a little help/advice if possible.

i brewed a batch of amber ale a little while ago. primary'd for 4 weeks. primed with 3/4 cup corn sugar. dont remember my gravities as im at work.

anyway, 1 week into conditioning, a had a bottle bomb. first one ever. that was something!!.......now after 3.5 weeks, no more bombs have happenend.

am i safe to assume full carbonation and no more bombs?

i am just asking becuase after i had to clean beer and glass from everywhere, i put the bottles in a rubber tote. i would like to take the bottles back out and put them back into the cabinet.

What was the bottle that blew up? I've not had a bottle bomb but you may have gotten an infection in one or more of the bottles which overcarbonates the brew. You could have used a bottle not intended for pressure (growler, wine bottle etc). Or you could have not mixed the priming sugar well enough.

At this point if there are more that could go off, they might go when you are moving them, which could hurt you. If possible I'd get them all cold (that will reduce the pressure inside).

the bottle was just a regular ole brown beer bottle. i always boil priming sugar with a pint of water for 5 then put in the bottling bucket and siphon beer on top to ensure a good mix. i am going to start weighing my sugar now because of this.

i was hoping it was just an infected bottle like you stated. like i said, no more so far and drank one last night. wasnt fantastic, but tasted like beer (ie no contamination).

i have only brewed about 1000 bottles total and i have never had one till now. that is a seriously violent situation. sounded like somebodys threw a softball or something through a window. i had the beer in a cabinet i always condition in. about 3x3 ft. glass shards were stuck IN the wood.

Wow. Well I'd guess that either the one bottle had a flaw in it (slightly cracked last time it was put away or something) or you had an infection in one bottle. Sounds like you are doing everything right, if you decide to move these... use some protective clothing/face shield.

+1 put a lid on your tote! I would put your bottles in a trash bag or two,and a box, just in case (would suck cleaning out your fridge of that mess!). Hope they turn out OK :tank:

Back