Slow leak - used the keg before:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeasu

Reaction score
Hello all,

So, recently got into kegging - two ball lock soda kegs off of a dual regulator, 10 lb tank. First two kegs, no pressure drop on the tank gauge. I know - it typically stays high until a rapid drop to red when you're almost out. Anyway, emptied one, cleaned/sanitized/pressurized it (10 psi or so), left it in the garage until my recent brown ale was ready for kegging. Kegged it about two weeks ago. Ever since, the CO2 "smell" never dissipated as it did before. Another weird thing - tried for a low carb level setting it for 8psi. I'd set it, walk away, but the next day, the gauge read higher - say 10-12 - really took some time to dial back and bleed off using the pressure relief valve before it stayed at 8psi. Came to notice yesterday/today the tank pressure dropping to being clearly now in the red. Soapy water didn't reveal anything yet. I tried reversing the lid 180° - saw in a similar post the kig lids are only meant to go in one orientation - maybe I swapped it? Just seems like longer than most leaks take. This is the 2nd beer with the current seals (used keg and replaced the seals before using). Any ideas? The other thing - lots of moisture in the freezer, on the C02 tank (in the freezer) - set at 40° - but it's fairly humid (monsoon season in Tucson). Any thoughts? I'll do a more extensive check w/ soapy water in a couple days.

i would start by applying some pressure to the kegs and then removing the gas/beer lines and see if you can notice any leaks (soapy water or a starsan mix will do the trick). If there is any leak you'll see it. If no leaks found on the keg connections connect the gas line back up and apply pressure, this time keep the fitting on and check the gas line and all connections back to the tank, do the same for the beer line.

also make sure your gas/beer line connections are fully seated and do not have any give to them (meaning you can't compressor them down and they come back up).

Thanks, Briz - I'll do a more detailed checkout after I get the tank refilled this week - wifey delivered our 4th Friday, this was the "Baby Brown Ale" I made for her (an east 4.2% Newcastle style brown), so only did a cursory check Sat. when I saw there was a definite problem. Got a couple pints out before the gas just bottomed out... :eek:

Back