Good Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roymullins

Reaction score
Am forever searching for... and trying to brew- the perfect brown ale... something with huge malt- balanced hops- not to strong and smoooooooth... my search continues- sipping a Redhook Mudslinger tonight- very good but not quite there... read this article recently- summed it up well- the best line was, "why does every special beer release have to be high in alcohol?"

The search continues... anyone have a good one to try?

roymullins said:
Am forever searching for... and trying to brew- the perfect brown ale... something with huge malt- balanced hops- not to strong and smoooooooth... my search continues- sipping a Redhook Mudslinger tonight- very good but not quite there... read this article recently- summed it up well- the best line was, "why does every special beer release have to be high in alcohol?"

The search continues... anyone have a good one to try?

Big Sky Moose Drool

and yes... Moose Drool is pretty much there- especially on tap- I bet it would be even better on nitro or cask conditioned!

Aesmith's Nautical Brown is great IMO. Also love Avery's Ellie.

I just brewed 10 gallons of Janet's Brown Ale two months ago. I am waiting another month to tap it. Early tastes are promising though.

Tough to beat bells best brown IMO.....have brewed NB caribou slobber extract kit and it comes real close to moose drool

Tommyknocker maple nut brown is awesome too....just trying to get that maple taste into my brown ales,

I love anchor steams brekles brown ale. Its has a great fruity taste for the citra hops that its brewed with.

It is hard to beat a bells best brown. Another really tasty brown is Short's bellaire brown.

My search for good brown ale sometimes diverts to a "good brown lager" like an Anchor Steam or a dunkel of some kind- again... big malt- hops that are balanced but do not overwhelm (as many craft brews do now- why???) low/moderate alcohol and a smooothness that you can play air hockey on... of course I am not ready to try and brew a lager- i have enough temp. control problems with my ales... it really comes down to enjoying beer that you can drink several with out passing out and enjoying the soul of beer... the malt!

sipping a Koko Brown Ale right now from Kona Brewing and...

it is really, really good... yes it has a coconut essense to it but it doesn't ruin it- I like coconut so it works for me but it has the bold malt and reasonable sessionability that I am seeking... very nice brown ale...

New Glarus Fat Squirrel is easily my favorite brown. And browns are my favorite style. Love 'em!

Sucking on a Big Sky Moose Drool clone at the moment. No complaints.

After waiting 4 years to try a Dogfish Head brew, I finally got my hands on a 6 pack of Indian Brown Ale. Not particularly traditional, but IMO, amazing. Between that and Ska Brewing's Buster Nut Brown ale, I am falling in love with the style. Can't wait to dive in even deeper.

vogtenstein222 said:
After waiting 4 years to try a Dogfish Head brew, I finally got my hands on a 6 pack of Indian Brown Ale. Not particularly traditional, but IMO, amazing. Between that and Ska Brewing's Buster Nut Brown ale, I am falling in love with the style. Can't wait to dive in even deeper.

I concur. I managed to get my hands on some Dogfish Head IBA when I went to see my buddy before he deployed. Definitely not traditional but definitely delicious!

Back