[need suggestions] Frigidaire 2 keg kegerator - DIY build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RhoadsRunner

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm converting my first mini fridge to a kegerator! I've never kegged beer before, but am PUMPED about it. Here's what's on order:

1. 4.6 (or +) cu. ft. mini fridge (Craig's list, $60)
2. CO2 dual regulator (Keg Connection, $31.50)
3. Co2 tank- 5 lb (Keg Connection, $54.95)
4. 5/16 FDA CO2 Hose (Keggle Brewing, $0.59/ft)
5. 3/16 ID FDA Beer Hose Keggle Brewing, $0.49/ft)
6. 2 faucets (all stainless, was cheapter by about $1 to buy the whole thing instead of components, Keggle Brewing, $51.95/each)
7. Temperature Controller (Keggle Brewing, $59.95)
8. Disconnectors (Ball lock set) (Keggle Brewing, $10.95)
9. I will probably have to pick up a few small pieces once everything gets in to make it all work.

Got the fridge last night and cleaned it up, made sure it works, etc.

Initial questions before I tear it apart:
1. I'm thinking of raising it up on a stand with a cabinet below for extra storage space (she who shall not be named wants the brewing equipment contained), so I was going to front mount the taps in the door so they'd be at pouring level. Seems like they will just barely fit above the kegs at the very top of the door if I position the taps on the same side as the first keg to be put in there (height of fridge is 29" vs the 25" keg).

What I'm concerned about it bending the front cover of the fridge when I tighten down a mounting plate on the back of the door (will have to cut through the plastic and foam to mount). Any suggestions on how to avoid that? Maybe just don't over tighten?

2. The thermostat and light are "in the way." If I want to get both my Pepsi kegs in there, that fixture will have to be relocated. I have NO experience with wiring and the like. I have taken the piece apart and the kegs will fit in there, but, I don't want to leave the wires exposed.

Any suggestions on how to neatly package the thermostat and light?

Thanks, everyone. I will be posting pictures and updates as I move along so check back and share your awesome ideas!!

WjR

Here are the initial pictures...still waiting on all the hardware, but all of it should be here by Friday!

The fridge, The problematic thermostat, and The disassembled thermostat should be attached. What do people do with that thing??? I really don't want to leave the wires exposed, but there's no way to leave it in there with 2 kegs...

002.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

So I think I figured out how to by pass the built in thermometer, let's see if this makes sense to others as well:

There should two "hot" wires feeding the thermometer. One that is always hot, reading the temperature and one that is hot only when the compressor is running to send a signal to the thermal couple to tell the compressor to turn on. So, if I set the fridge to a Med-low temp (setting 4) and let it cool down to temperature, I can see which wires are hot while the compressor is running. Then I can turn it up to a high temp (setting one) and see which of the wires no longer is hot. If I splice the always hot wire with the wire that cuts on and off when the compressor is running, I essentially have turned the mini fridge into something that runs constantly when on. If I use my Johnson external thermometer (much more accurate), I can control the temperature that way.

Does that makes sense to anyone else? I basically want to completely remove the build in thermometer to get a more accurate reading and get the old one out of the way without having to leave exposed wires right next to the kegs.

Maybe someone with more electrical experience has input...please?

WjR

Is there an electrical diagram on the back of the fridge? Most have them, that would probably be the biggest help.

No electrical diagram...I have a buddy who knows a thing or two about electricity. I'm going to get him to help me (may have to wait until there's a beer on tap to give him some incentive!).

In other news, most of the other equipment has arrived. Below, a picture of the kegs in the fridge (perfect fit), my faucets with shank and assembly kit, the keg pieces, Johnson temp control, and some ram horns that I found in the garage that I picked up the fridge in. Random, weird find...but I though they were cool, so now I've gotta incorporate them somhow! Only things I'm missing is a CO2 tank + regulator (which should be here in a few days). I guess the insanely cheap dual regulator I listed above was an upgrade from a kit...so much for getting that piece for $40!

The kegs were previously used, so I took everything apart and cleaned all the pieces really well.

For the keg and dip tube that feeds the beer, I soaked them over night in a soap solution with mild dish soap. Scrubbed them really well and then rinsed them obsessively.

For the keg components, the O-rings on all the pieces were pretty shot, so I just tore those off and I'm going to buy a replacement kit and keg (or sanitary food grade; KY baby) lube. I soaked all the little pieces in warm water for about an hour to loosen up all the grime and took a toothbrush to them. I disassembled them as much as possible to soak and clean - just be sure to keep track of all the little parts!!!

That's it for now...should have build picture up before the weekend is over.

001 (2).jpg

003 (2).jpg

004 (2).jpg

005 (2).jpg

006 (2).jpg

Kinda fell off the wagon with updating these pictures. Have had three brews in there so far - a porter, an IPA, and currently a brown ale. Just tapped the IPA a few days ago and have my first all-grain brew on the way to put on the second tap (another brown ale -- thought it'd be cool to brew the same type of beer (northern English brown) with extract and AG to do a Pepsi challenge).

Anyway, this frigidaire 5 cu ft fridge worked well for me...just had to build a little cabinet to raise it up to pouring height. Couldn't be happier. Well, OK. I could be: If both taps were currently being used I'd be a little happier. Soon enough.

I have a pretty extensive material list if any one is interested in doing something similar. To be honest, the cabinet build was way harder! Still need to stain it but the weather's gotta get nicer for me to want to be outside.

Talk you y'all soon.
WjR

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

This is very similar to what i plan to do this weekend! I am going to put a tower on the top of the unit. I plan to have on commercial 1/6 barrel and one corny keg. A 1/6th barrel is slightly wider (by about an inch). Do you think it is going to fit? If i can avoid carving out the compressor hump i would really like to. How did removing the light/thermostat go? Any issues?

Latest posts

Back