Had my first truly bad bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdad

Reaction score
Been doing the brewing thing for a little over a year now. They haven't all been superb, but they've all been pretty to very good.

Last night, I cracked open a bottle of my big Irish red. This has been a great batch - perfectly carbed, great flavor, great color. I have been very proud of it.

Only, this bottle was the opposite of great. I got some slow foam over when I uncapped it, and immediately started thinking "gusher". It took me three pours to get it all in the glass due to the high foam.

I was hoping that this would just be overcarbonation, but alas, this was not to be. The first taste was terribly bitter, with a harsh, almost chemical, aftertaste.

I let it sit for a few minutes and tried another sip... as bad or worse. I sadly poured out the rest of the glass.

Since the others have been so very good, I'm hoping this was a one off fluke.

If it was only one ottle of the batch, you could have just had a bottle that was not clean and that bottle got an infection. If all from this point on are bad then the batch was infected. You just drank the first part of the batch before it got a good start.

Try another from the same batch to see if it is good.

Been doing the brewing thing for a little over a year now. They haven't all been superb, but they've all been pretty to very good.

Last night, I cracked open a bottle of my big Irish red. This has been a great batch - perfectly carbed, great flavor, great color. I have been very proud of it.

Only, this bottle was the opposite of great. I got some slow foam over when I uncapped it, and immediately started thinking "gusher". It took me three pours to get it all in the glass due to the high foam.

I was hoping that this would just be overcarbonation, but alas, this was not to be. The first taste was terribly bitter, with a harsh, almost chemical, aftertaste.

I let it sit for a few minutes and tried another sip... as bad or worse. I sadly poured out the rest of the glass.

Since the others have been so very good, I'm hoping this was a one off fluke.

Infection? Check this out

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was only one ottle of the batch, you could have just had a bottle that was not clean and that bottle got an infection. If all from this point on are bad then the batch was infected. You just drank the first part of the batch before it got a good start.

Try another from the same batch to see if it is good.

That's the plan. I usually only chill 1-2 bottles at a time, as I drink no more than 3-4 beers in any given week. I'll try another tonight.

Really hoping it's one bottle and not the batch. :)

Back