What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batch differentiation is a fun thing to watch in smaller breweries.
Batch 400 was very confusing, there was no harsh chocolate, or big roastiness in the flavor, but only in the aroma, it drank like a smooth pilsner, with a wheat beer creaminess. This one in batch 411 has a big bitter chocolate flavor, similar to the aroma, and very much different than before.

I love watching smaller breweries like that. Epic (SLC) is great like that, they post the ingredients and numbers for each batch on their site, it's cool to see how they change/develop with each brew.

HPIM1393.jpg
This may very well be the best (bottled) IPA brewed in the Twin Cities. That head sticks, thick cap and curtains of lace. The aroma is citrus up front, hints of pine and caramel barely make themselves noticed. Third whiff brings a distinct pinecone/pine resin smell to the back of the nose, maybe a hint of lemon too. The flavor is almost all American hops, citrus, pine, a touch of fruity ale yeast. Just enough malt character to stand up to the hops. Carbonation is minimal, almost no bubbles and very smooth. Finish is bitter and dry.... amazing IPA.

Hoppy Feet 1.5. Very disappointed. Love Hoppy Feet, but the big bro is all alcohol. Sad day. Next time I'll just stick to the standard! Lubrication was tasty too.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
I love watching smaller breweries like that. Epic (SLC) is great like that, they post the ingredients and numbers for each batch on their site, it's cool to see how they change/develop with each brew.

Haandbryggeriet has done a good job of keeping me interested, with their incorporations of traditional beer and alcohol culture, into modern, and foreign beer styles. I have not had a bad beer from them.

New Belgium Abbey last night. Good stuff. Not as good as the Dubbels from Belgium, but pretty darn good - particularly pleasing was the quality for a $7.15 6-pack.

Allagash White. A+

ALLAGASH-WHITE-BEER.gif

Reminds me when of an era where Tryst on 18th street sold this in pints with lemon wedges (gasp!) and smoking was allowed indoors. Yes, all the way back in 2007.

Drinking my Pumpkin Guts ale. It pairs nice with the turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing I had for dinner.

Pipeline is empty so I'm drinking Blue Moon Belgian Style Pale Ale. I don't love it, but it's not too bad. SWMBO likes it so maybe ill brew up an improvement on it.

On my second shock top end of the world midnight wheat.
Not bad.
Says brewed with midnight wheat, chocolate malt, chili and spice.

She's a seasonal. Mostly because even though it's pretty good, I doubt many people would make it their go to beer.

Second witbier of the night! Cisco Brewers Grey Lady Ale

67baa742e30511e18ca012313806b840_7.jpg

People have their own idea of what a witbier is supposed to taste like. I really like this one but in a smooth and creamy witbier sort of way. Happy I had this by accident... I will regard this as a staple of what I would like my witbier to taste like, partially. Does not say 'witbier' anywhere on the bott'ole.

So much different than the last beer I had, the Allagash White which was very lemony and surprisingly too sweet.

Pic courtesy of google images/shapeless internet mass. I am going to buy one of those glasses now though.

I am drinking a Centennial Vienna SMaSH that took 3rd place in a comp last Saturday

I'm on my third glass of my coffee oatmeal imperial stout. Funny story, I thought it tasted oddly sour. So I had a glass of my IIPA.... uh-oh sour too! (at this point I'm thinking regulator issues) So I had a Victory Brewing Golden Monkey and a Deschutes Black Butte Porter to see if the sourness was just something going on with me.... it was. I popped a couple of Tums and now the beer is smooth as silk... and I'm a wreck.

Started off with my homebrewed Smoky Chocolate Porter.
Now finishing the night with Whipped vodka and orange juice.

This one was sent to me:

Cigar City Jai Alai IPA...it is quite malty in a way that reminds me of DFH90, although not nearly as bitter..in fact I would say the bitterness in this one is more "rounded" as well. I find it quite enjoyable, even though I normally prefer a less malty balance and drier finish in my IPAs. It's just a very well made beer.

jai_alai_IPA.jpg

A gift from the wife. Sweeter with more spice than mine, but pretty similar otherwise. I know how I want next years batch to be.

ForumRunner_20121113_211539.jpg

Had a plethora of different brews from a monthly beer trading at the local homebrew shop. Tasted some new stuff i really enjoyed plus swapped home made beers with some of the folks there. I had a Sam Adams imperial stout which was actually pretty darn good.

Just finished a pale ale before bed. Time to get some sleep, so I can go back to work this afternoon. Looks like I'm gonna have to brew again soon, or I'm gonna run out before the next batch is ready to drink.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Wrong, alcoholics go to meetings. Drunks whine about going dry on internet forums. Get it right, buddy. :mug:

Real harsh brother, real harsh. I'm going to have to drink a bottle of raw organic whine after work because of this.

Back