clogging bottling wand with hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwm1485

Reaction score
when ever i make a IPA or if i dry hop i always end up clogging my wand with small pieces of hops. I was think of putting the hop pellets in a hop bag or using a rubber band to put it around the end of the siphon. anyone know which would work better?

If I dry hop I would use a hop bag. If you didn't use one to begin with. Sliding one over the end of the siphon should filter them out of the bucket/carboy so you wouldn't have to worry about them in you bottling bucket.
Just make sure to soak the rubber band and hop bag in sanitizer so you don't infect your finished beer.

I just finished bottling my first dry hopped beer. From now on I will always dry hop in a hop bag. It was a PITA racking that beer to the bottling bucket with all the hops floating in there.

I always use hop sacks for the BK & dry hopping. & pour chilled wort & top off water through a large fine mesh strainer to boot. It also helps aerate it going into the fermenter. Way less trub this way.

Either use hop bags to dry hop or when you rack to the bottling bucket place a hop bag over your racking cane to filter the hops out. Works well.

I just toss the hops in the fermentor. When I'm ready to bottle I cold crash the fermentor into the 40s to help drop the hops out of suspension. Then when I rack I put panty hose around the end of my autosiphon. I move the fermentor to a spot from which I'm going to rack and let it sit for 24 hours to let any sediment from moving it settle. Then when racking I try to be careful not to stir up any hops. Works great, I get very clear beers.

Back