fermenting sugar water only !!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjones1975

Reaction score
Hi all i am new to brewing i have just completed my first batch of wine which has went with no problems i now want to try to brew something bit different. My question is what would happen or what would i end up with if i fermented just corn sugar dissolved in water with wine yeast ?

You'd be making hooch, which a lot of folks would accuse you of being an underaged person, fermenting under your bed. Or making prison hooch.

You're doing basically a sugar wash, which unless you distill it (which is illegal) it will taste nasty, and be a waste of time and money...If you're already making wine, why do you want to waste your time with this crap? There are plenty of other fermentable beverages that will at least taste better.

Heck at least get a bag of Jolly ranchers (any flavor) and melt them in a double boiler, and add that to your sugar wash...at least then you'll be making a rough approximation of schnapps.

ok i think i will leave that then and stick with the wine it is really nice so how would i go about distilling i would really like to make something a bit stronger i have been looking at recipes for moonshine and looks like its a perfect place to start i do not have a slow cooker or a copper pipe is there anything i could use in its place ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back