Call of Duty 4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep my copy arrives today for 360...so excited.

THat's what I'm afraid everyone's gonna say. Where's the ps3 love? I could've got the 360 one, but with rumble controller coming to ps3 this season, I'd rather not buy it for a machine that's probably gonna break soon. My 360's started the old "freeze randomly" routine again that happened before my last one died.

COD4 is a pretty impressive game. Wait till you see the c130 spectre mission. Pretty sweet stuff.

Have to be honest: there are rumblings in game development communities that PS3's lackluster sales performance and extra difficulties to develop for might cause a shift in focus that results in the 360 and Wii sku's being our primary focus.

I personally own neither a 360 or a PS3-- I own a Wii-- but I don't really use it. I'm a PC gamer.

/full disclosure: I work for Activision-- but not for the COD dev team.

Here's some good reviews:

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=QdWOinJiyCM[/ame]

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ddg7reIOjL0[/ame]

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=LNoNpBXmrfk[/ame]

Yeah, I need to go grab the 360 version......COD4 vs. brewing this weekend.......hrmmmm

Drunkensatyr said:
Yeah, I need to go grab the 360 version......COD4 vs. brewing this weekend.......hrmmmm

Seems to be plenty of people on the ps3 version,s o it's keeping me busy.

Hey, Kornkob, I own a wii too and I never play. No flipping games! i just got metroid and don't really like it that much. I have Mario reserved and suspect that'll be the first game I truly enjoy on the system. And I've owned it since launch!! (Zelda was horrible, didn't finish it)

this is why I am getting a 360 after christmas..

Any tips on which version to buy? and which is the best deal (on the console)

aekdbbop said:
this is why I am getting a 360 after christmas..

Any tips on which version to buy? and which is the best deal (on the console)

Just so happens that I am selling my entire 360 system, games, controllers, wireless headset, and carrying bag.
Let me know if you are interested.

selling to fund my beer brewing, plus I want to spend more time with the family, and not yelling at the TV...LOL

Ó Flannagáin said:
Seems to be plenty of people on the ps3 version,s o it's keeping me busy.

Hey, Kornkob, I own a wii too and I never play. No flipping games! i just got metroid and don't really like it that much. I have Mario reserved and suspect that'll be the first game I truly enjoy on the system. And I've owned it since launch!! (Zelda was horrible, didn't finish it)

Mario Party FTW...makes great drinking games

Ó Flannagáin said:
All these whiney programmers are annoying. The talented programmers realize the potential of the machine

Time is money and potential means nothing if the mainstream game developers can't produce quality products for a console. In fact, that means the console will never really meet its full potential.

jzal8 said:
Time is money and potential means nothing if the mainstream game developers can't produce quality products for a console. In fact, that means the console will never really meet its full potential.

Bah, there's no way FF XIII could've been done on the 360 and it's going to blow people away. How long have they been working on it? years.. I don't have the exact number, but it's a lot. And, it's not planned to come out til the end of next year. That game is going to be a money maker.

Quality sells... looks at all the BS wii games that got throw on shelves in no time. They aren't selling at all. Yea, wii's are selling, but the games are doing pooooorly. Quality is money... time is just a factor.

The mainstream producers worth a damn are putting out good games. Like the guys working on Kane & Lynch, the guys at insomniac, the guys at square enix, the guys at incognito, and on and on.

from what ive seen its BF2 on super steroids, the graphics/terrain and physics engines are amazing.

ive only SEEN it though

the only console I have is original NES....:cross:

Ó Flannagáin said:
Bah, there's no way FF XIII could've been done on the 360 and it's going to blow people away. How long have they been working on it? years.. I don't have the exact number, but it's a lot. And, it's not planned to come out til the end of next year. That game is going to be a money maker.

Quality sells... looks at all the BS wii games that got throw on shelves in no time. They aren't selling at all. Yea, wii's are selling, but the games are doing pooooorly. Quality is money... time is just a factor.

The mainstream producers worth a damn are putting out good games. Like the guys working on Kane & Lynch, the guys at insomniac, the guys at square enix, the guys at incognito, and on and on.

PS3 may not get the Halo3 contract, but so what? Personally, I'm gonna vomit if they release another first person shooter. It's been done before. I do like playing online shooters, but that too gets old. IMHO, you can't beat a well done RPG. You get LOTS of gameplay for your $$$, and it's like reading a novel...the level of immersion is that good. I can't wait for FFXIII!

Ó Flannagáin said:
BF2? Not sure.. is that battlefield 2? Is that a strategy game for FPS?

Battlefield 2, yes. First person.

I played the COD4 and Crysis demos, both on the PC, and while they both were really good - they both feel arcade-y compared to BF2. I'm sure I'll end up getting both and playing them for their single player campaigns but I doubt I'll play much multiplayer...

I've been playing CoD 4 nonstop now. It's single player ... eh, the multiplayer though, is awesome. I can't get enough of it. I just got halo 3 as well, but don't see playing it anytime soon.

I love COD4 so far. Just an all around well-done game.

I've played Battlefield since 1942 (skipped Vietnam). I love the play style, but EA has been pissing me off. They just seem to have a history of being slow to patch major glitches. Currently playing 2142 because the planes in BF2 were just too much.

Ó Flannagáin said:
Quality is money... time is just a factor.

Negative, negative.

Quality is NOT money. There are a lot of games that did wonderful thigns, were high quality and didn't make much money at all.

Time IS money in development. Keeping 20-60 people working on a project for a year costs millions. Do that for 2 or 3 years and you are talking abotu a budget that is getting out of hand.

Then you have a stack of costs on top of salary, equipment and overhead.

Never mind that each console game you sell sends $10-15 to someone who is NOT your company (the owner of the console gets that off the top of each sale).

Add 3 months to specialize for a specific platofrm and you're spending nearly a million just on that platform's specific version. And add to that the factors of market penetration and household response to new games within those markets.....

It's all very well and good to talk about it as a simple thing to decide to do but the fact is a lot of time and effort goes into deciding what platforms are worth the money to develop for. Just because its an awesome platform doesn't mean that it makes sense to pull people to develop for it.

the NES platform rocks any other system out there, 'nuf said

the zapper gun was way ahead of its time

kornkob said:
Negative, negative.

Quality is NOT money. There are a lot of games that did wonderful thigns, were high quality and didn't make much money at all.

Time IS money in development. Keeping 20-60 people working on a project for a year costs millions. Do that for 2 or 3 years and you are talking abotu a budget that is getting out of hand.

Then you have a stack of costs on top of salary, equipment and overhead.

Never mind that each console game you sell sends $10-15 to someone who is NOT your company (the owner of the console gets that off the top of each sale).

Add 3 months to specialize for a specific platofrm and you're spending nearly a million just on that platform's specific version. And add to that the factors of market penetration and household response to new games within those markets.....

It's all very well and good to talk about it as a simple thing to decide to do but the fact is a lot of time and effort goes into deciding what platforms are worth the money to develop for. Just because its an awesome platform doesn't mean that it makes sense to pull people to develop for it.

So what about the big name games? MGS 4, FF XIII? These are taking years of development, and the producers are hugely successful. Are you saying htey don't knwo what they are doing?

Yeah, downloaded the demo earlier today, definitely a title I'm going to have to buy.

Here are few screenies I took from the demo, for the folks who want to see what it looks like.

This is the PC version obviously.

shot0004.jpg

shot0015.jpg

Ó Flannagáin said:
So what about the big name games? MGS 4, FF XIII? These are taking years of development, and the producers are hugely successful. Are you saying htey don't knwo what they are doing?

That's not at all what I said. What I said was it is a lot more complicated than 'because a console CAN do more it makes financial sense to develop for it'.

It also depends on what you mean by 'hugely successful'. Spending 3 years and 30 million to make 40 million might seem to make sense until you look at making a game in 1 year for 6 million to make 12 million.

Critcal success does not always equal financial success.

Massive unit sales does not always equal financial success.

High quality does not always equal financial success.

kornkob said:
That's not at all what I said. What I said was it is a lot more complicated than 'because a console CAN do more it makes financial sense to develop for it'.

It also depends on what you mean by 'hugely successful'. Spending 3 years and 30 million to make 40 million might seem to make sense until you look at making a game in 1 year for 6 million to make 12 million.

Critcal success does not always equal financial success.

Massive unit sales does not always equal financial success.

High quality does not always equal financial success.

True, true. Not always equal financial succes, (Lair) but FFXIII and MGS4 are going to be huge. When you put a lot of time in it, and do it right, it can and will be successful and make a game that is way better (which is what I care about) than those that are spit out real quick.

Latest posts

Back