First All Grain Recipe Creation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy2027

Reaction score
I came up with this recipe from a variation of a Brown Ale. What do you guys think I will be brewing it this weekend. Also what style would you call this? English Amber??

10 gallon batch.

20lbs Maris Otter
1lb CaraVienne
1lb CaraMunich
1lb CaraPils
1lb Munich
1lb Biscuit malt
1lb Chocolate malt

2oz Williamette at 0
1oz oz of Goldings at 40
1oz oz of Goldings at at flame out

Im using two packs of us05

No I didn't get an srm number for it. I really dont mind if it is darker than an amber I just wanted more biscuity and chocolate flavors that I was getting with the original recipe. So I upped the base grain to maris otter from american 2 row and added two pounds, doubled the biscuit malt and chocolate malts. What would you consider the style of this beer?

I am also planning to experiment with the leftover grains from the mash and make a 3-4 gallon small beer using Fuggles at 60 min and adding a half pound of brown sugar in the boil. Also using s-05 yeast.

What would you consider the style of this beer?

Brown ale. Unless you're trying to clone something, why get more particular than that?

Depending on your efficiency and attenuation, this beer will be pushing 7%.:drunk:

Are we to assume that your 2oz addition is for bittering, not as a flameout (zero-minute) addition?

I plugged it into my BeerAlchemy, with a couple of assumptions. I assume the hopping schedule was the Williamette, 2oz for all of boil (assuming a 60 minute boil) and then the Golding 1 oz at 20 minutes from end, and 1 oz at flameout. With that, style wise, it matches the criteria for a Baltic Porter. But it also matches for a "Strong Ale - Old Ale", which I know nothing about. The OG is a bit to high to match the criteria for an American Brown Ale, but otherwise matches.

The Stats are this:

OG 1.068
FG 1.016
Expected Color 19.7 SRM
Expected IBU 37 IBU
Expected ABV 6.9%

Hope this was helpful!

Your assumption is correct the 2 oz of Willemette will be in for 60

the other two oz's are flavoring and aroma.

Thanks for the answers.

I plugged it into my BeerAlchemy, with a couple of assumptions. I assume the hopping schedule was the Williamette, 2oz for all of boil (assuming a 60 minute boil) and then the Golding 1 oz at 20 minutes from end, and 1 oz at flameout. With that, style wise, it matches the criteria for a Baltic Porter. But it also matches for a "Strong Ale - Old Ale", which I know nothing about. The OG is a bit to high to match the criteria for an American Brown Ale, but otherwise matches.

The Stats are this:

OG 1.068
FG 1.016
Expected Color 19.7 SRM
Expected IBU 37 IBU
Expected ABV 6.9%

Hope this was helpful!

VERY Helpful Thanks. I will let you guys know how it comes out.

I don't know if this will make a difference to you, but I read up on Baltic Porter, and it seems some brew it with lager yeast. Though, this does not seem to always be the case. I can't wait to hear how this turns out for you. :)

I have read up on that earlier because I was wanting to brew an Oak aged Bourbon Baltic Porter. They say you can use either or, I guess something subliminally made me think of this recipe. If it comes out like a Baltic I will defiantly do it again using some bourbon and oak. Cant make it to the homebrew shop for lager yeast before tomorrow and even so I really dont have the "proper" area to ferment a lager beer.

I will keep you posted.

Well I got my 10 gallons I was after. It looks more like a Brown than a Porter and the wort tastes very malty and nice.

I was also able to yield 3.5 gallons of beer from the mash tun and made a respectable "amber" coming in at an OG of 1.046.

Now the waiting game.....

Yeah, the first beer came in at 1.063 OG and I figured what the hell I have some hops and Yeast lets see what happens. So I ran a few more gallons threw the mash tun.

A little update:

My Brown at an OG of 1.063 is at 1.015

and the Partigyle brown at an OG of 1.043 is at 1.012

Not too bad for being on the cake for a 10 days. Im going to let it sit at least another 10 days before bottling and kegging.

Sorry for the way late response but this beer turned out great. Next time I will throw some Belgian Yeast instead but it was great almost Porterish????

The second beer I made with the runnings didnt turn out so great. It was rather astringent and blah. Ill putting some age on it to see if it turns out better later.

Back