Kegerator or Keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

He1lyeah

Reaction score
Hello all, just wanted to say thank you for some great reads through the DIY threads.

I would like to build a Kegerator or Keezer for use in the summer time on the back deck, will work it into the outdoor kitchen plan somehow, it will be used for commercial kegs as I have limited options for homebrew (respect to those of you who home brew, can’t find any shops in Ottawa, Ont. that fill Cornelius kegs) so I will just stick with kegs from the beer store.

Would anyone know or have experience of what size (cubic feet) freezer/mini fridge that would hold a 50L/13.2Gal commercial keg?

Currently looking online for cheap used appliances but need a good starting size….

Thanks again

Hellyeah

Honestly, if you are using anything other than sixtels or pony kegs, you are probably going to want a kegerator. Hefting a full commercial keg of beer over the lip of a keezer is going to be a massive PITA.

The biggest mini fridge I can find is 4.4CF with a shelf in the back, don’t think it will hold a full 50L keg..

If you don't mind heaving 100+ pounds over the edge of a chest freezer, by all means go for it. I can't speak for you, but the thought of getting a full keg 3+ feet in the air and then having to carefully deposit it in the bottom of a chest freezer does not appeal to me.

If you don't mind heaving 100+ pounds over the edge of a chest freezer, by all means go for it. I can't speak for you, but the thought of getting a full keg 3+ feet in the air and then having to carefully deposit it in the bottom of a chest freezer does not appeal to me.

I agree with this, I do 25 gallon batches and I have to lift 5 40lb kegs into my freezer each time. I would hate to lift a 100+lb keg into a freezer.

If you rigged up a block and tackle above the freezer you could easily do it with that and you could fit 2 kegs in a big enough freezer.

No Luck finding a 5.1Mini Fridge, so a Kreezer it is.. Any recommendations on a minimum size?

No Luck finding a 5.1Mini Fridge, so a Kreezer it is.. Any recommendations on a minimum size?

Depends on your budget and what's around you, but if you go to either an auction house or keep up with Craigs list frequently, sometimes you can find an under-counter freezer that would allow you to load from the front. Best opportunities to get one are when a restaurant closes. IMHO, lifting a full keg into a keezer would be a major PITA.

Good luck either way.

How high off the ground is the deck? It would be pretty cool to have a full size fridge under it feeding lines up to your outdoor kitchen if you have some sort of high-up deck with a foundation under it. Or maybe the keezer could be built into the deck in a way that you could simply LOWER the full keg, and lift back up an empty keg. Obviously I have no clue what your deck looks like, just some random ideas for you. Do you know just want to use a full-size fridge simply because it is kind of huge and awkward for a deck?

Back