Used Bottle caps...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARV9673

Reaction score
Ok, I'm trying to not be too ghetto, but here was my thought: I live in a 3rd floor apartment and space is at a premium. In order to be frugal with both space and time, I was thinking of cleaning and sanitizing my next batch of bottles and then capping them. Then, bottling day, uncap, fill and recap. Depending on the price of caps, this could be a great time, and space, saver. I have no room for a big bucket of sanitizer with bottles in it (an eventual aim, once we get a house and a basement) and the pain in the ass that was the intial bottle cleaning session (that became two bottle cleaning sessions after I got discouraged and a crick in my back bending over the sink) hopefully will never happen again.
Ok, long question short, can I reuse caps or not? And can one reuse commercial bottle caps?

Nope not a good idea, the caps will be damaged from when they were removed, they wouldn't seal properly at all. You can buy bottle caps in bulk quite cheaply, it won't break the bank using new bottle caps, plus you'll save your beer and/or sanitizer :)

Ok, thanks. Was sort of a pipe dream anyway. Guess it is possible to be too ghetto.

You could always sanitize some saran wrap, wrap it over the top, and put a rubberband on the neck of the sanitized bottles.

ARV9673 said:
Ok, I'm trying to not be too ghetto, but here was my thought: I live in a 3rd floor apartment and space is at a premium. In order to be frugal with both space and time, I was thinking of cleaning and sanitizing my next batch of bottles and then capping them. Then, bottling day, uncap, fill and recap. Depending on the price of caps, this could be a great time, and space, saver. I have no room for a big bucket of sanitizer with bottles in it (an eventual aim, once we get a house and a basement) and the pain in the ass that was the intial bottle cleaning session (that became two bottle cleaning sessions after I got discouraged and a crick in my back bending over the sink) hopefully will never happen again.
Ok, long question short, can I reuse caps or not? And can one reuse commercial bottle caps?

Not a great idea to use caps over again - no matter how careful you are they won't seal properly. Hey - ever thought about flip cap bottles a'la Grolsch? Then all you'd have to do is use new seals now and then. Only problem with them is they're expensive and its hard to find actual Grolsch bottles since nobody really likes the beer. Better yet - get a corny keg and don't worry about bottles!

Back