Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am from Michigan, my wife is from North Carolina, we live in Alabama. My 10 year old came home from school one day and had a list of homonyms. One example was win and when both being pronounced win. I showed it to my wife and she couldn't see a problem...

It isn't anything I hate, but I did find it funny

I am from Michigan, my wife is from North Carolina, we live in Alabama. My 10 year old came home from school one day and had a list of homonyms. One example was win and when both being pronounced win. I showed it to my wife and she couldn't see a problem...

It isn't anything I hate, but I did find it funny

Is this serious? I understand accents, but actually teaching words to the contrary of Webster's Dictionary seems wrong. How do they say 'fin' or 'hen'? Not trying to be rude or anything, just boggles my mind a bit....

Is this serious? I understand accents, but actually teaching words to the contrary of Webster's Dictionary seems wrong. How do they say 'fin' or 'hen'? Not trying to be rude or anything, just boggles my mind a bit....

You've obviously never been to the deep south.

When I lived in New Jersey I heard a mother bitching because they sent homonyms home and they had a picture of a frog and dog . She said that frog and Dooo-awg don't sound anything alike.

Much worse, IMO because that is the most obnoxious, fingernails on chalkboard accent known to man.

BTW, I'll bet most of the people in Orange County California pronounce the short "a" word Dad as Daaaad

mpride1911 said:
+30 for this. I have a dysfunctional alcoholic soldier, whose one of the worst I've ever encountered that failed out of his first year and that University of South Alabama (USA), that is the exact person you speak of for Auburn Football.

I feel you guys. The Johnny come lately obnoxious fan is the worst. That being said I graduated from Montana State and am also a big Duck fan. I grew up in Oregon and spent my youth going to games and watching them on the tube. There's no way some fvckin frat boy that made it through (alumn) for fours has a better fan claim as me. Oh and if you you want to know how MSU is doing, I can tell you... Perineal top 5 playoff team winning the big sky a lot lately. Google Travis Lulay, hell of a player, better drinker... :)

CGVT said:
When I lived in New Jersey I heard a mother bitching because they sent homonyms home and they had a picture of a frog and dog . She said that frog and Dooo-awg don't sound anything alike.

Much worse, IMO because that is the most obnoxious, fingernails on chalkboard accent known to man.

I'm from NJ, and I also hate that accent. It gets worse the farther north you get and closer to New York, but it's down near me as well, to some degree. I never used to hate it but I was stationed in few other states for a long time, and when I moved back home last year I was disgusted by that accent and the terrible driving. (Both of which I never noticed before I left,)

And yes a lot of people say that stupid yous
Yous guys ready? You is the plural of you and needs no S, and I know teachers don't teach this one, but it develops anyway.

Again homebrewtalk is a wealth of information as I have always wondered about them teaching accents in school. I once asked a friend from Rhode Island if they just leave the R out completely when teaching the ABCs to children there. He had no answer...

BTW, I'll bet most of the people in Orange County California pronounce the short "a" word Dad as Daaaad

Haha, yeah, you're basically correct. But its usually preceded by 'like, ummm, like' or 'totally'..... Damn... I knew I shouldn't have put OC in my username.... Not even from here - born and raised in San Diego and here for work now.

I guess the accent down there is just the typical stoned surfer with a lot of 'dude' interjections.

Back on topic, I hate double negatives. Also, especially annoying is the use of the word 'seen' in the present tense, like "we seen that car....."

Zombie apocalypse?????

Methinks the OP is epically over-sensetive.

Irregardless is the mother of all ****** words for me.

I don't know why y'all doubt the Zombie Apocalypse. it's happening and I'll be ready. y'all will think Will Smith was unprepared in I Am Legend.

I'm from NJ, and I also hate that accent. It gets worse the farther north you get and closer to New York, but it's down near me as well, to some degree. I never used to hate it but I was stationed in few other states for a long time, and when I moved back home last year I was disgusted by that accent and the terrible driving. (Both of which I never noticed before I left,)

And yes a lot of people say that stupid yous
Yous guys ready? You is the plural of you and needs no S, and I know teachers don't teach this one, but it develops anyway.

Again homebrewtalk is a wealth of information as I have always wondered about them teaching accents in school. I once asked a friend from Rhode Island if they just leave the R out completely when teaching the ABCs to children there. He had no answer...

When I first moved to Jersey from the PNW a little more than 10 years ago, I got no end of crap for actually pronouncing "water" correctly (instead of "wooodah" or however they expect you to say it). Then I moved down this way. DC area's so full of transplants that there's no real accent for anything, you go further out into VA, and I much prefer the NY/NJ accent to that obnoxious southern one.

"Two cars got together....."

A local traffic chick uses this term to explain an accident....WTF.....cal it a crash...accident....WTF.....is this polically correct to say "Two cars got together....."...dumbest effing thing I ever heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really pi$$es me off.......

My current grammatical pet peeve is the use of 'no problem' instead of 'you're welcome.' Sometimes its appropriate, but it seems to be much over used.

"This beer is really sessionable". I really wish some people would learn the real meaning of what a session beer is before they call a beer sessionable.

One I just thought of.

"snob"

Why is it that when someone is educated about something, they are looked at as a snob? Just like everyone else, I have my opinions on some things. The problem I have is, when I don't agree with what the mainstream likes, I'm labeled a snob. This hobby is a prime example of what I'm talking about. When I'm talking about beer to the average drinker, I'm labeled a snob because some of the brands I like they have never heard (or worse) I like 'such & such brand' over their precious BMC beer.

I'm not a beer connoisseur nor claim to be one, but don't hate on me because I think Bud Light or Miller Lite suck. Hey if that's all you have in your fridge, I'm not afraid to drink it. It's still beer and nothing goes better with good times than a nice cold beer.

My brother says "you know what I mean?" several times during the course of a conversation . Listen dip-wad, if I don't know what you mean I'll ask you to explain

My brother says "you know what I mean?" several times during the course of a conversation . Listen dip-wad, if I don't know what you mean I'll ask you to explain

I'm amused that you've been a member here for six months and your first and only post is to complain about your brother :tank:

Pappers_ said:
I'm amused that you've been a member here for six months and your first and only post is to complain about your brother :tank:

Ahhh brotherly love haha

cheezydemon3 said:
Zombie apocalypse?????

Methinks the OP is epically over-sensetive.

Irregardless is the mother of all ****** words for me.

Yes! And this is coming from someone that grew up in Queens.

I am also amazed at our apparent disdain for "You're welcome" Even on NPR. No one ever says it. Ever. Thank you for being on the show is answered by "thank you for having me" or "no problem." Go ahead. Listen to NPR and tell me I'm wrong.

My current grammatical pet peeve is the use of 'no problem' instead of 'you're welcome.' Sometimes its appropriate, but it seems to be much over used.

One of my pet peeves also. I think the scale is sliding more towards "you're welcome" in this area, but I still get the "no problem" about 1/4 of the time. A couple years ago it was 3/4 of the time.

"Social justice," there's no such thing. It's a pinko codeword for redistribution of wealth & rights.
"African-American," or any other hyphenated American. Either you're American, or you're not. Color & origin are not & should not be issues; but assholery & duchebaggery are.
Regards, GF.

"orientated" instead of oriented.

1. Orientated really bothers me too, and the Army cannot stop saying it.
2. It actually is a word and means literally to face the east. (The Orient)

But the Army likes to put "...ize" at the end of everything too, which I think is worse. I've never been able to figure why we go to the range to zero our weapon but we zeroIZE our radio. Ruggedized is another. I was once told to be careful because the coyotes were domestitized.

What does PWLIHTRA stand for?
People Who Like Inventing Hard To Remember Acronyms :)

I hate when the abbreviations we use are more difficult to remember than the phrases themselves.

Example: SWMBO, ROTFLMAO, SMH

I hate "OH! Sorry! It was the furthest thing from my mind!".....as if that contitutionalizes an excuse.(;))

My response is "Really, so what you told me that you would do, was the least important thing that existed, as far as you were concerned.......Well, then f**k you too."

"Actually the furthest thing from my mind was Yasser Arafat wearing a bustier, codpiece and monicle... making this the second furthest thing from my mind"

I hate it when political pundits on TV say 'look' right before they give their opinion. I guess it's supposed to be some kind of assertive statement that their opinion is the valid one, but look..... it's just annoying.

What you said and also when they say "Listen" before giving the opinion. Everytime I hear that, I think to myself, "Don't tell me what to do bumb@ss!"

Also, it drives me crazy when people say something along the lines of, "I'm gonna get me a whatever."

I hate the word "redouble". As in, "We need to redouble our efforts..."

Drives me crazy.

Can I put a vote in for hating the word "Hate" ? It's over used. I remember a time when, if you said "I hate you", MF'ers cried.

I hate "OH! Sorry! It was the furthest thing from my mind!".....as if that contitutionalizes an excuse.(;))

My response is "Really, so what you told me that you would do, was the least important thing that existed, as far as you were concerned.......Well, then f**k you too."
The furthest thing from my mind is my body....

Back