Pumpkin Ale recipe tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imisri

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been wanting to make a pumpkin ale with an extremely malty profile. Here is what I've thought of so far...

11# German vienna malt
1# Crystal 60
1# crystal 80
1# carapils
(maybe .5 lbs of victory malt)

.5 oz Hallertau @ 60
.5 oz Tettnang @ 30

I've got the spices figured out but my main questions are on the grain profile and yeast to be used. I've got ~80% of the grain bill as a base malt. Is that too little? Should I consider other specialty grains as well? For the yeast I'm debating between WY1056 and WLP011. I'm worried the 1056 is gonna come out too dry. I've heard that the 011 accentuates malt flavors but I've never used it before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers

I'm no expert, but you have way too much specialty grains in that bill IMO... I would cut those specailty grain amounts by about half personally and then mash at a higher temp like 158f if I was shooting for a very malty beer.

I use JZ's pumpkin ale recipe. I'm quite happy with it. Its nice and malty, has a lot of body, and (what I think is) just the right amount of residual sweetness to back up the spices.

Base "Malts":
9# UK 2-row
5# pumpkin flesh
1/2# aromatic malt

I suppose that might be similar in flavor profile to your 11# of vienna.

For specialty malts:

1/2# crystal-40
1/2# crystal-120
1/4# special roast

I would think that the crystal 60/80 in your version aren't quite different enough to add much complexity.

I doughed in at 157. With some stirring from adjusting pH, I ended at 153 after 75 minutes. OG = 1051, FG = 1017.

I used WLP005 - British Ale yeast, because the LHBS was out of WLP002. I've never used this yeast before, but it finished in 4 days, and was fully flocked after 7. A very nice, malty profile. I may switch to this yeast from 002 for my english beers.

FWIW, I don't claim to be an expert...this is my first Pumpkin Ale, but I'm very happy with the results.

Tom, I used the exact same recipe as you but my mash temp was a little low. I'm hoping the S-04 I used doesn't take it too low becuase I don't want this too dry. Thanks for sharing how yours came out!

so I brewed my recipie 10 days ago and I took a bit out to taste today.The pumpkin isn't noticeable at all. I added 5.5 pounds of Libby's canned pumpkin to the boil at 90 min. I caramelized the pumpkin for 1h at 350 beforehand, however I did notice that only the top of the pumpkin was caramelized.
I mashed at 157 for 60 min, boiled for 90 min and added 1 tsp of irish moss at 15 min and 1.5 TBSP of pumpkin pie spice at 10 min which is hardly noticeable as well. My OG was 1.068 and I pitched WLP011 yeast. I did not make a starter this time and let it ferment at 64 (ambient temp) for 10 days now.

Any thoughts as to why the pumpkin or the spices aren't coming through?

Typically, the pumpkin really only gives mouth feel, and not a taste.
How is the mouth feel? Goopy enough for you?
The spices are what gives it the flavor. Now that you've brewed one, and see where you would like changes, brew another.
I suggest adding the spices at flame out. Boiling takes away some of the flavor.
Maybe a tiny bit more, but be careful... in my opinion, it's better to be under spiced, than over spiced.

i've made a couple of pumpkin. I can taste the pumpkin, and i've added them about halfway through the boil. I've also added them to the mash, mainly the non-spiced pumkin filling.

The real key is spices, right at flame out. Allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon are some of the spices i've used.

with mine some ppl can taste it most cant it is very light.
next one is first all grain with real pumpkin not canned wondering if i should put it in mash tun or in boil ?:mug:

yup

Allspice Seeds Ingredient Flavor 2 Tbsp
Ground Nutmeg Ingredient Flavor 2 Tbsp
Cinnamon Stick Ingredient Flavor 1 ea
Pumkin Pie Filling Ingredient Flavor 26 oz
Crystalized Ginger Ingredient Flavor 1 Tbsp

my usual pumpkin spicing is

1T cinnamon
1t fresh-grated nutmeg
.5t ground glove

I add this amount at 60min and at 10min for my 6gal batches. I'd say it's a pretty standard spice level compared to other pumpkin beers.

Back