Opening beer bottles without a proper opener? What objects have you used?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What common object have you used to open a beer bottle?

• Cigarette Lighter

• Fork, Spoon or knife blade

• Inner door latch or hinge on a vehicle door

• Edge of a countertop, deck rail or board

• Other (share!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Anyone remembers the bottle opening scene in Austin Powers? (I could not find the video unfortunately) ;)

The prop guard (I guess that's what it's called) on a boat. The top of the bottle broke so it was a failure but lesson was learned!
Lighter, caribeener, ring, also a few times I used a bottle opener

this is on my Xmas list:

Capture.JPG

only with Redskins logo. HAIL TO THEM!

i taught myself to open a bottle with almost anything when i was at university, as a contingency mesure. I started with a lighter, now anything that levers against my knuckle works.
rolled up paper, keys, another bottle, cutlery, coins, the list is endless.

When I have 2 bottles, I typically just use one to pop the cap off the second. Why bother looking for openers when it's so easy. I often get quizzical looks but it's really simple.

When down to the last bottle, this method no worky. :(

I do this all the time. Works great up until the last bottle.

That is pretty functional! The only reason I don't keep a small opener on my key chain is because I can't stand a bulky key chain since I carry in my pocket.

was thinking of clipping it to belt loop, I'm a key minimalist; I can't stand bulky keychains either.

I have THIS on my keychain:
a6531.jpg

Anything with a mostly solid edge. I tend to fall back on a key most of the time, though A key blank is probably the best idea. I have bent house keys to the point they are unusable before.

It's a regular game between friends and I to open our beers the most obscure way possible, Since most of you have already reported them, I'll stick to the obscure ones: seat belt buckle, fishing hook, maglight, firewood, another beer bottle, folded paper, counter tops, propane burner, mash paddle, a coaster, and regular USB drive.

has anyone successfully opened a bottle using a body part? No teeth?

I knew some guy in college who could open one with his thumb nail.

Once when we couldn't find a bottle opener we used a flag bracket. Worked perfectly. Except then we got drunk and lost it so I never got the flag put up. :drunk:

Bracket.jpg

The male buckle of the seatbelt buckle is great! I used to have the "military" rubber encased cell phone that I always opened bottles with.

agreed on the male part of the seatbelt. An ex-girlfriend of mine had a belt made out of a seatbelt. She used it for that purpose all of the time.

I use a carabiner on my keys. Works pretty well until the soft metal begins to grind away. It's not a climbing-quality piece.

So I was reading about a member using his wedding ring to open beer bottles and it got me thinking; I've always loved craft beer so naturally I have often been without my opener and had to use some other inanimate object to open my beer bottle.

I have posted the list of objects I've frequently used to open beer bottles, wondering how many others have used the same things!

Post up your stories!

#1: lighter (though I don't smoke someone always has a lighter)
#2: handle of fork or butter knife
#3: the inner door latch hook on a vehicle
#4: The edge of a countertop, deck rail or board

Being a vet, I never go anywhere without my handy dandy church key attached to my keychain.

I've used:
Pliers
Teeth (did this a few times in college but stopped once I put a small chip in my molar)
Wedding ring (done this a few times, but I think the platinum gets scratched)
table top (I've chipped a lot of tables this way though)
street curb
paint can opener (not sure this counts, since I think the handle is designed to open bottles)
Another beer bottle. This is my current fav, so far I haven't made a mess yet but since 1 bottle is upside down it seems it's only a matter of time...

P.S. I like the seat belt trick. Would have come in handy when I was younger. Also like the flag pole holder, I've got a few of those laying around.

I have used many of the things listed in this thread as well as

My belt buckle
The hitch on some guys truck
My baseball cap has an opener in the bill
Baseball,that was interesting explaigning to wife why sons ball had a gouge missing
Rim of a car

This person wins, hands down!

Helicopter:

[ame]http://youtu.be/fw2wviQAXYw[/ame]

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned using another beer bottle as an opener yet. Its pretty standard practice around these parts. When I get to the last beer, its probably a lighter.

Back