Flavor difference between ale and lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbo007

Reaction score
Hello all,
As we are in winter here in Spain I'm thinking of changing my brew from ale yeast to lager yeast. Are there any flavor differences? As my brew room is now at 20 degrees and my fermentation tank at 18 I'm worried that brewing with ale yeast won't work correctly.

Should I change over to lager yeast? Any noticeable flavor differences?

Thanks,
Rob

If my junior high math conversion trick works, 18 centigrade is 66 Fahrenheit. Perfect for ales of most types.

Lagers are usually fermented much colder, around 11C.

Enjoy some nice, clean tasting ales, amigo.

18 even go down to 15 degrees no problem. Also a light bulb in a cardboard box on a timer can give you the heat you need to raise it up a bit. If sit the whole fermenter in water and use a aquarium heater to maintain temps there are a dozen different ways to kill this bird.

Clem

Yup thats 18 degree's celsius. Thanks for the advise.

I'll keep brewing at that temp. I've moved all my fermentation tanks into my boiler room. That way when the central heating comes on the boiler kicks into gear and maintains a nice 18-20 degrees in the boiler room. :)

Cheers,
Rob

Back