How much do you drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No offense, but you have ZERO evidence to back up these numbers and assertions. If you look at what's been written here, a homebrewing site, all by homebrewers, you're looking at over half of the posters drinking at a level far above what is considered alcoholism.

Alcoholism and alcohol abuse are two very different animals. Alcoholism is a physical and mental dependance while alcohol abuse is excessive drinking.

You have a lot of people who drink in excess (social drinkers, notably) in short episodes who are not alcoholics, since they drink to fit in, not cause they have cravings and shakes, while you have alcoholics who will have one drink in the morning and one at night, because without them, they cannot function/sleep. That's physical and mental dependance.

Alcoholism and alcohol abuse are two very different animals. Alcoholism is a physical and mental dependance while alcohol abuse is excessive drinking.

You have a lot of people who drink in excess (social drinkers, notably) in short episodes who are not alcoholics, since they drink to fit in, not cause they have cravings and shakes, while you have alcoholics who will have one drink in the morning and one at night, because without them, they cannot function/sleep. That's physical and mental dependance.

so if i run out of milk its not okay to pour a chocolate oatmeal stout over my cocoa crispies...........talk about uptight.....i kid...... i kid

On average, about 4-12 oz homebrews nightly. Weekend can be upwards of 6-7, depending upon strength and time I start drinking.

JFR1111, I'm not talking about alcoholism, definitions of alcoholism or anything else. I was calling to task your assessment that homebrewers are more controlled with their drinking, when you are reading a thread where multiple people are posting intake levels WAY WAY above safe consumption by any definition of the word. Making general assumptions based on what you see in your girlfriends friends is not enough to make broad statements like you did in your first post.

No offense, but you have ZERO evidence to back up these numbers and assertions. If you look at what's been written here, a homebrewing site, all by homebrewers, you're looking at over half of the posters drinking at a level far above what is considered alcoholism.

What is alcoholism? And considered by 'whom?'

IMO, alcoholism has 'nothing' to do with how much you consume, but rather your attitude towards the substance, how it affects your health, your relationships, and your ability to function in general..

If 'you' are the master of the beer.. then all is well.. If OTOH, the beer is the master of you.. then there is a problem...

Furthermore, different people have different 'amount' tolerances according to their size, their metabolism, their mass index, their level of fatigue, their activity level, their age, their gender, and all sorts of other factors... even the altitude and climate where they live...

If drinking causes you a greater amount of problem than the enjoyment you extract from it, then there is a problem... If it causes problems with how you interact with people, then there is a problem.. If you go and blow your paycheck at the bar on the way home from work, and there's no money left for food, or rent, or utilities, etc.. then there is a problem... If you are missing work because of drinking, then there is a problem.. If you're getting DUI's, etc. then there is a problem,,,, if you are bleeding when you crap or are barfing up blood, then there is a problem....

If on the other hand, you are having a few every night, and the worst thing that happens is you get sleepy and grow a bit of a belly.. then so what.. Eating a big dinner does that to you too...

In fact, if drinking a few causes you to unwind and enjoy the good things in your life more.. causes you to let go of the day and appreciate your wife and kids and warm home.. then it is a 'good' thing.. Bottled up stress is much harder on your life, family, health and general well being than a few drinks every night ever will be..

And 'statistics' prove this out... Recent studies show that those who don't drink at all live shorter lives than those who drink moderately... they even live shorter lives than those who drink heavily...

God gave us alcohol as a reward for when the days work is completed... If you abuse it it becomes a curse.. if you enjoy it in a reasonably healthy way then it is one of life's greatest blessings..

And none of that has 'anything' to do with a set number of drinks per day.. The point at which it becomes 'too much' is unique to every individual and varies from day to day for the individual...

In short...
RDWHAHB
:mug:

JFR1111, I'm not talking about alcoholism, definitions of alcoholism or anything else. I was calling to task your assessment that homebrewers are more controlled with their drinking, when you are reading a thread where multiple people are posting intake levels WAY WAY above safe consumption by any definition of the word. Making general assumptions based on what you see in your girlfriends friends is not enough to make broad statements like you did in your first post.

What is safe consumption ? There's no way in hell that someone who drinks 1-2 beers a night with maybe 3 or 4 on the weekends, like the vast majority of the people who responded to this thread, controls their drinking (whatever that means) less than the binge drinking crowd. The risks associated with drinking are not linear. Drinking 16 units in two days, as was shown by the studies I have linked, is a lot more nocive to you than having the same 16 drinks (or even 24 drinks) over a week, because you also have to factor in accidents, unwanted pregancies and other external risks.

3 - 4 Times a week.

If it is during the week, 2 - 3 beers a night.

On the weekend it could be anywhere from 5 - 15 beers

Alcoholism - you know who you are - definitions on the internetz will not answer the question.

I drink close to 3-5 12oz beers on a school-night. I realize that this is too much but still do it - partly because I have become real lazy lately (it's seasonal) and don't go to the gym on a regular right now. When I go all hard-core at working out - my diet (drinking included) typically get choked out.

Weekends - just depends - around the same. I don't really look a these days as 'get trashed' days but maybe get started earlier and drink more. Since I have been brewing my own - I have noticed an increase in 'readily available' consumption!

Now I catch myself wanting to hit certain brew-pubs up at lunch - not because I need one but it's the only time of the day that I am close to these bars (typically the ones that have that special release on cask - only available for a few weeks) type deal....

BrewFrisco said:
Alcoholism - you know who you are - definitions on the internetz will not answer the question.

I drink close to 3-5 12oz beers on a school-night. I realize that this is too much but still do it - partly because I have become real lazy lately (it's seasonal) and don't go to the gym on a regular right now. When I go all hard-core at working out - my diet (drinking included) typically get choked out.

Weekends - just depends - around the same. I don't really look a these days as 'get trashed' days but maybe get started earlier and drink more. Since I have been brewing my own - I have noticed an increase in 'readily available' consumption!

Now I catch myself wanting to hit certain brew-pubs up at lunch - not because I need one but it's the only time of the day that I am close to these bars (typically the ones that have that special release on cask - only available for a few weeks) type deal....

That's a good attitude that I try to follow myself.

What is alcoholism? And considered by 'whom?'

IMO, alcoholism has 'nothing' to do with how much you consume, but rather your attitude towards the substance, how it affects your health, your relationships, and your ability to function in general..

If 'you' are the master of the beer.. then all is well.. If OTOH, the beer is the master of you.. then there is a problem...

Furthermore, different people have different 'amount' tolerances according to their size, their metabolism, their mass index, their level of fatigue, their activity level, their age, their gender, and all sorts of other factors... even the altitude and climate where they live...

If drinking causes you a greater amount of problem than the enjoyment you extract from it, then there is a problem... If it causes problems with how you interact with people, then there is a problem.. If you go and blow your paycheck at the bar on the way home from work, and there's no money left for food, or rent, or utilities, etc.. then there is a problem... If you are missing work because of drinking, then there is a problem.. If you're getting DUI's, etc. then there is a problem,,,, if you are bleeding when you crap or are barfing up blood, then there is a problem....

If on the other hand, you are having a few every night, and the worst thing that happens is you get sleepy and grow a bit of a belly.. then so what.. Eating a big dinner does that to you too...

In fact, if drinking a few causes you to unwind and enjoy the good things in your life more.. causes you to let go of the day and appreciate your wife and kids and warm home.. then it is a 'good' thing.. Bottled up stress is much harder on your life, family, health and general well being than a few drinks every night ever will be..

And 'statistics' prove this out... Recent studies show that those who don't drink at all live shorter lives than those who drink moderately... they even live shorter lives than those who drink heavily...

God gave us alcohol as a reward for when the days work is completed... If you abuse it it becomes a curse.. if you enjoy it in a reasonably healthy way then it is one of life's greatest blessings..

And none of that has 'anything' to do with a set number of drinks per day.. The point at which it becomes 'too much' is unique to every individual and varies from day to day for the individual...

In short...
RDWHAHB
:mug:

^^^ this guy.

"Addiction" always seems to get defined by very specific amounts/habits. I'm sure someone from AA would say that I'm surely an alcoholic. I can't remember the lastg time I was "drunk", but tonight will be the first night I recall recently with no alcohol consumption at all (late night at work).

I'm sure my health suffers from it, but no one bitches about the skinny dude s I work with that eat fast food three meals a day.

Well, I suppose I'm just "justifying". Screw it, maybe I'll have a homebrew when I get home tonight just for spite!

Nah, it's late.

I drink a few beers per week. After reading this, I feel like the kid that gets picked last in gym class.

If I get crazy (like New Year's Eve), I will drink two in a single night. I'm a rebel. Oh, I did go nuts last night at Gordon Biersch and have 2 beers before the hockey game.

I haven't read all 14 pages of this thread, but I am one of those that likes beer, but does't want to get drunk. I often will mix a can on NA in with some homebrew. It doesn't really alter the flavor at all (just lessens it a surprisingly little bit). I usually use Penns Best NA. It is super cheap and has barely any flavor at all.

I haven't read all 14 pages of this thread, but I am one of those that likes beer, but does't want to get drunk. I often will mix a can on NA in with some homebrew. It doesn't really alter the flavor at all (just lessens it a surprisingly little bit). I usually use Penns Best NA. It is super cheap and has barely any flavor at all.

All we had in Iraq was NA beer. It doesn't alter the flavor that much because it doesn't have that much flavor.

All we had in Iraq was NA beer. It doesn't alter the flavor that much because it doesn't have that much flavor.

Exactly. For those of us that just ENJOY drinking, but not the ill effects, mixing NA in with homebrew helps.

Exactly. For those of us that just ENJOY drinking, but not the ill effects, mixing NA in with homebrew helps.

:drunk:

The last thing I want to do is dilute or change the flavor/body of my beer with macro swill. Just don't drink as many pints!

Poof, "problem" solved.

I work swing shift. And own/operate a small fence company. Most days I have a beer. Some weeks when I'm off from the regular job and our crew spends a lot of time in the shop (crappy weather this time of year) I'll drink 4-6 BMC and a couple home/craft brews when I get home. When we are hard at it (both jobs) or I'm on 3rd shift, I drink NONE, sometimes for a week or more.

Am I an alcoholic? Seriously, I don't know. I'm not worried about it, I drink beer because I LIKE beer. I don't drink for the sole purpose of getting hammered or because I start shaking without the booze. Although, once or twice a year that does happen (or six or eight)

The point is, our society has become so PC that if I drink with any regularity I'm an alcoholic with a problem. How 'bout we worry about the guys that get DUIs like I get my morning coffee?

The point is, our society has become so PC that if I drink with any regularity I'm an alcoholic with a problem.

Hold over attitudes from the prohibition... People have no idea how much that still shapes the way we view alcohol, and how at odds that view is with the rest of the world throughout history...

Did you know that the pilgrims brought more beer to America on the Mayflower and her sister ships than they did water? A 'lot' more?

I drink a few beers per week. After reading this, I feel like the kid that gets picked last in gym class.

I'll join you in the club. I'm a 3-4 beer/week drinker. Almost never drink more than 1 at home. Might have 2 if I'm out with a group. Takes me 4-5 months to finish a 2 case batch of homebrew and I usually give away 6-10 of them. :eek:

I need to chime in about alcoholism and abuse.

per my mother "Alcoholism runs in the family" oh really mom I had no idea that it was a genetic trait that was passed down from generation to generation.

my uncles and grandfather on her side were alcoholic and suffered from the disease didn't know when to stop and couldn't stop. per my mom ,my dad is an alcoholic but I can't say for sure because they have been divorced since I was 5 years old.

I on the other hand LOVE beer and having 2-3 for ME is just like some one having 2-3 cups of coffee or glasses of water , or soda. It's my beverage of choice.

it all depends on the person I do not consider my self alcoholic by any means even if I were drinking a couple a day I am not getting **** faced drunk or even buzzed. I enjoy the beer for what is it and not to get smashed.

I went on P90X program and didn't have a drop of beer or alcohol , or wine the entire 90 days I suffered no signs of withdrawal and i was fine. I did loose 15 lbs while doing the program and 5" off my waist line. but honestly it really depends on the person and to say that some one drinking 3-4 beer is alcoholic is just like racial profiling and thinking narrow minded.

to each is own and we all have different tolerance levels each person is unique and different.

-=Jason=-

I average 4 a day. I might have 6-7 some days, some times I don't have one. But I used to drink a 12 pack a day, every day, of the store bought water they call beer years ago. I had a problem and didn't want to do the AA thing so on my own I stopped drinking for one year. I then could drink 1 beer and put it down. I am at that point now where I need to slow down a little. Thats just me though.

I've had my same drinking routine for over 13 years. I don't drink any more now than I did then. I have never woke up wanting a beer in the morning (the thought disgusts me), nor have I felt any kind of "withdrawl" if I don't drink for a day or two, or if I can't have a beer until 9:00pm. If any of these ever happen, I will give up drinking.

I tell my doctor how much I drink, and he's never said a word, and blood work has never shown anything negative. I even had to have a nuclear stress test done a couple years ago after I bruised a lung and thought it was a heart issue. I was told that my heart was stronger than the average Marine's based on my height/weight and the time it took to get my heart to 80% of what they say it's capable of.

I also smoke 1.5 packs a day. ;)

I'm a very active person, and must burn off the calories I drink because I've hovered in the same weight range for nearly 15 years as well, and I'm not overweight. I rarely watch TV, and you will almost never find me sitting on the couch. If I'm awake, I'm moving and doing something. That may be why I can drink as much as I do and don't get drunk.

I take care of my responsibilities. I've worked the same 40+ hour a week job for 16 years, run a small online business in the evenings from home, and do endless amounts of work on my house and hobbies.

Like the others have said about alcoholism, it's whether you control the alcohol or the alcohol controls you.

I have to say, I find it pretty amazing that people actually come into a forum about brewing beer, then judge people on how much beer they drink and lecture about alcoholism and the effects of alcohol. I can go back to highschool health class if I want to hear this crap. I'm a grown man and am well aware of the effects of alcohol, so get over it and mind your own.

I have to say, I find it pretty amazing that people actually come into a forum about brewing beer, then judge people on how much beer they drink and lecture about alcoholism and the effects of alcohol. I can go back to highschool health class if I want to hear this crap. I'm a grown man and am well aware of the effects of alcohol, so get over it and mind your own.

I don't know if this was directed at me, if so, you got me wrong. I'm ALL about personal freedom, but you can't deny the risks are there: if I were to drink more than 2 beers a day, with my awful genetics, I'd probably be dead before hitting 50. High blood pressure runs in my family and I live a much more sedentary lifestyle than you do. You can handle it, good on you.

I'll typically drink a sixer through the day. Sometimes I drink more, sometimes I drink less. On days that I'm not working, I'll generally crack a beer by noon. On the weekend I might end up drinking 8-14 beers through the day. Is it a problem? No.

Let us not forget that AA is a business, and unfortunately throughout the last few decades, they've been allowed to define alcoholism. According to AA, most Americans would be defined as alcoholics. According to doctors, alcoholism is defined by a loss of productivity at work, health problems associated with drinking, and alienating yourself from friends and family. Few Americans in this case would be labeled as alcoholics.

I drink a lot, and I have no problems with it. I love beer, but I generally don't over-do it with liquor. I have a good job and drinking doesn't interfere with it, I've never gotten in trouble with the law because of drinking, and I've never ruined any kind of a relationship because of drinking, and my health is excellent and I'm in extremely good shape.

The prohibition really screwed our country up.

All this talk about beer is making me thirsty!
:rockin:

I drink about 1-2 litres of beer per day. On the weekends all bets are off like lots of people have said. I never start drinking before i'm done the work I want to do around the house (although I have work early because friends drop by) Always have at least two pints when I'm brewing:D

Eric

It's the 5-O man, never off the job, making the world a better place and all that :)

It's the 5-O man, never off the job, making the world a better place and all that :)

Well that was definitely directed at me...

KC, I'm not judging anyone at all. I have my beliefs about the health issues related to over-consumption, but more than likely I fall into those guidelines anyway, so who am I to judge?

My only issue was when jfr1111 stated that non-homebrewers drink more than homebrewers, when based on this thread, that is likely not true and his "proof" was conjecture.

Alcoholism is definitely a very loosely defined "disease", and regarding AA, they definitely seem to have the lock on being the ones who get to define it. To the poster who said according to them "almost every American would be considered alcoholic", you are 100% right. If you have ever said "Man I could use a drink", they consider you an alcoholic.

So again, I'm not judging anyone. Not to mention, people who over-indulge make me overtime money, so why would I try to convince anyone to tone it down? ;)

Interesting thread! I drink 2-3 a night but I skip it the night before I do my long run... mostly! I run 30-60 miles a week, training usually for an ultra.

I find it hilarious at how dogmatic and judgmental people get about all this. Health & drinking & smoking and over consumption... Whatever man, my best friend is a real fatty, my ex-wife, mother of my kid, and a sweetie, is a raging alcoholic, there is no morality associated with this **** it is just things we do, so get off your high horse mon!!

Lets see, usually 2-3 pints a night, a good college football game, a good BBQ and a lot of friends, God only knows, but I have been known to go without for days at a time. I just love the taste of my own homebrew. Nuf said. Cheers!!!!

Interesting thread. I put alcohol in grams on my bottle cap labels (http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/ccalcoh4.htm). I figure the more information the better. Most countries recommend a "safe" level of 20-40g per day, and some as much as 1g per kg of body weight. Since beers can have widely varying levels, I put it on the label. Then I can add as I go. If I'm really being conscious, I set on the top shelf in the fridge 40g worth and as long as I stay on that shelf, I'm good :)

I have two young kids, and am determined to be a healthy dad :)

Interesting thread. I put alcohol in grams on my bottle cap labels (http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/ccalcoh4.htm). I figure the more information the better. Most countries recommend a "safe" level of 20-40g per day, and some as much as 1g per kg of body weight. Since beers can have widely varying levels, I put it on the label. Then I can add as I go. If I'm really being conscious, I set on the top shelf in the fridge 40g worth and as long as I stay on that shelf, I'm good :)

I have two young kids, and am determined to be a healthy dad :)

Did I use the calculator correctly? It says that 2 pints of 5.5% beer is 41 grams. Is that right? So that would be on the high end of your spectrum.
Just wanted to make sure I was reading your post correctly and the calculator correctly.

Did I use the calculator correctly? It says that 2 pints of 5.5% beer is 41 grams. Is that right? So that would be on the high end of your spectrum.
Just wanted to make sure I was reading your post correctly and the calculator correctly.

That sounds about right, although the "high end" was Basque, who recommend no more than 1g/kg or around 80g or around 4 pints of 5.5% beer for a 180 lb man, but yeah, most countries' recommendations are 40g for men, closer to 2 pints of 5.5% beer.

http://www.drinkingandyou.com/site/uk/biggy.htm

.5g/kg or .25g/lb of body weight is a the same as 40g for the "average" guy.

Latest posts

Back