Mashing question,, need answer asap please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
is there ANY benefit to a 90 minute mash using only 2 row.. crystal 20 and crystal 80? I am mashing right now and wondering why I am doing 90 minutes rather than 60???

From what I understand, you only want to mash that long if you're mashing at a low temp, like 150 or below, to achieve full conversion.

hmmmmmm NOW you tell me lol.....mashed at 148 for a little over 60 mins...did a barleywine....

You mash for 90min to increase wort fermentability. You may have full conversion after 60 min, but the additional 30min give the enzymes more time to break down the sugar chains so that the yeast can more easily digest them. Longer time at lower temps equals more fermentable wort. It's not necessarily an issue of effeciency.

EDIT: check out the mashing theory wiki. It will help you understand the process and give you even more control over attenuation etc.

Back