At Wit's end... Burnt wheat.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenBrewer

Reaction score
So, I brewed a Wit 9 days ago. I used pretty much half pilsner, half unmalted wheat grain bill with a 2% 6-row and 2% acidulated malt in the mix as well.

I used the "American Adjunct" Mash regime as described in Radical Brewing that I have used several times with great success with various other beers having a large amount of unmalted wheat/rye/oats etc.

This mash regime dictates using two separate mashes a main (barley) mash and an adjunct mash. The adjunct mash contains all the unmalted wheat/oats and some 6-row for it's extra enzyme power.

While the barley mash was being held at 122*, the adjunct mash goes through several steps and rests at 122*, 155* and a small period of time boiling. After ~10 minutes of boiling, the adjunct mash is added to the barley mash which raises the temperature of the now singular mash to ~152-155.

My problem (as alluded to in the subject) was during the mashing of the wheat, some of the wheat on the bottom of the boil kettle burnt. And burnt bad... The beer is now in the primary fermenting away and it tastes burnt. The aroma of burnt wheat seems to be lessening over the last few days, but the burnt flavor still remains.

My question is this: How do I mask this burnt flavor?!? I think I'm pretty much screwed on fixing the issue. So, how do I mask it? Before anyone says, "Do a mini mash of chocolate malt and make it into a Dunkle" (which is not a bad idea). I would prefer to still end up with a Wit. I was thinking of dry spicing with a butt load of orange zest and pepper. Any other thoughts? Words of encouragement?

Thanks,
-ZB

It reminds me of the other night when I came home from the gym and SWMBO wanted to go out to dinner right away because she was "starving". So I just put some deodorant on and added some cologne to the mix and off I went. I was a bouquet of nasty funk. I even blame the nasty service on my appalling stench. I would have been better off going out to dinner without covering it up, well, I probably should have showered, but you get where I am going with this....

i'm with jm on this 1. dump it and don't throw good $ after bad. that bad isn't recoverable.

Although I do agree with the previous 2 posters, I think there is another option. Sit on it for a while. You did say that the burnt taste is going away...so let it. Unless you need your fermenter for another brew.

Dude I did the same thing on my last batch. I vowed to not do the cereal mash again and just use flaked wheat from here forward. Anyway my cereal mash burnt on the bottom but it seemed to not have affected the fermentation a whole lot. I didn't taste it through the fermentation but I did leave it for over three weeks in the primary. Mine tasted fine and I'm getting prepped to make another batch tomorrow with out the cereal mash.

Call it a "Smoked Wit." Problem solved.

Yes, that's what a buddy of mine suggested too.

The brew has fermented almost completely now (SG < 1.008). The burnt aroma is almost all gone. Still lingers in the taste. I wonder if dropping to a serving temperature and carbing will further reduce the taste of the burnt wheat.

I'll probably keg, carb and cool before deciding to take any drastic actions.

Thanks for the comments!

-ZB

Direct firing of the mash, is something I rarely do. Your much better off getting that temp up on the hlt, and leave the mash to itself.

I would definately not dump it!!!! I would wait until its time to bottle/keg and see how it tastes. You can always add hops and/or spices then. I think dumping the batch is terrible advice if you haven't tasted it, especially after only 9 days.

You really don't have a lot to lose from this point forward. A few caps and some priming sugar (or CO2 if you keg).
I'd ride it out. It's gonna be allright, buddy! <----- (Encouraging words)

So, the short end of a long story is that I dumped it...

I let it sit in the carboy for awhile tasting it periodically. After the initial slight drop in terribleness the flavor plateaued at somewhere between an ashtray and burnt cookies...

Kissed the sewer.

-ZB

Thanks for your quick reply! I had sent you a pm but it seems you didn´t notice it ;)
I guess I´m on the same way... Ashtray.. that´s the correct descriptor...

Heh, I did my first double decoction hefeweizen the week before last. This thread had me praying I didn't scorch the grains and wind up with a burnt taste LOL. I did stir it constantly but did stop stirring for a few seconds here and there. I guess I can sneak a hydro sample tonight to alleviate my new fear haha. The krausen has already dropped so a small gravity reading should let me know where it's at flavor wise :D

Rev.

Hydro sample was great, all clear, no burnt taste whatsoever so I guess I did the decoction well. This could possibly be the best hefe I've made. Hard to tell exactly at this point though, only one week in the primary so it still needs another week in the fermenter and 3 weeks in the bottles to mature.

Rev.

Back