Hop rhizome and growing question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
So April 1st I received my hop rhizome, I ordered 1 and got two root clippings, thinking in my mind oh this is 1 I went a head and planted both in one super large container. Now that is up and going I'm a little concerned should I only have one rhizome in there and replant the other into another pot or is this typically how it's done, when you order 1 the give you two roots??

Same thing here. I ordered from HopsDirect and received two rhizomes for each order I placed. A couple of my containers received 2 rhizomes a piece. Probably a mistake, but right now my plants are all over 8' tall and looking very healthy.

They'll make the transition into the ground (or separate containers) next spring. I suppose I'll have to deal with separating them when I transplant.

well for space reasons I'll have to grow in container so it might be better for development to separate now before the get entangled. I just would like some other opinions before I commit to doing this.

I planted mine at least 20" apart (I got 3) and I was going by the instructions that came with the rhizomes. So, yes, you probably want to get another container.

Well if I only have one other opinion I guess I'm just going to go with my gut and pull the other one out. Any things I should be cautious about when digging the other one out??

You said you received these April 1? If they've been in the pot six weeks now, I'd leave them. Do any replanting in the late fall or early spring next year.

If they've only been in the pot a few days, go ahead and carefully dig one up.

You said you received these April 1? If they've been in the pot six weeks now, I'd leave them. Do any replanting in the late fall or early spring next year.

If they've only been in the pot a few days, go ahead and carefully dig one up.

What frazier said plus traditionally most homegrowers plant 2 rhizomes per hill. Combine that with the fact that pro-growers put as many as 5 to a hill I'd leave them alone. No need to worry at all. These things grow like gang busters it doesn't matter if you've got 1 or 4 rhizomes in a pot it'll be root bound in a few years. Just keep it well watered as containers dry out faster than ground plants & keep it fertilized heavily, you won't be sorry.

Schlante,
Phillip

What frazier said plus traditionally most homegrowers plant 2 rhizomes per hill. Combine that with the fact that pro-growers put as many as 5 to a hill I'd leave them alone. No need to worry at all. These things grow like gang busters it doesn't matter if you've got 1 or 4 rhizomes in a pot it'll be root bound in a few years. Just keep it well watered as containers dry out faster than ground plants & keep it fertilized heavily, you won't be sorry.

Schlante,
Phillip

I have to politely disagree. Most home growers that I know of recieve one rhizome when they order one and that's what they plant. Most home growers have that one rhizome grow into an established plant. I have 12 plants of nine different varieties all purchased from freshops single rhizomes over the last several years. Over the last few years as a member here I have only encountered a few posts of home growers planting multiple rhizomes. The only reason I can think of is that home growers give much more care to their small number of plants so a single rhizome has a much better chance of taking off than if it was one of 10000. It's what we do:mug:

Most farmers throw more than one rhizome in because it's more cost-effective than checking each row of hills for growth.

That being said; hopsdirect is notorious for giving the homebrewer more than they've bargained for. I don't doubt at all that they would throw two in for an order because they have a proven track record for customer satisfaction with more than fair prices.

OP: You did nothing wrong throwing both into one growing location. I'd let it roll because a single plant is all you'd planned on in the first place right? Keep it fed and watered and have a tall enough rope for it to climb and she'll keep you in the hops! As a bonus if you decide to expand your yard at some point finding a rhizome should be easy:rockin:

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll stop stressing and let it be. Now if only I could stop stressing over my non-fermenting beer. RDWHAHB

I have to politely disagree. Most home growers that I know of recieve one rhizome when they order one and that's what they plant. Most home growers have that one rhizome grow into an established plant. I have 12 plants of nine different varieties all purchased from freshops single rhizomes over the last several years. Over the last few years as a member here I have only encountered a few posts of home growers planting multiple rhizomes. The only reason I can think of is that home growers give much more care to their small number of plants so a single rhizome has a much better chance of taking off than if it was one of 10000. It's what we do:mug:

Most farmers throw more than one rhizome in because it's more cost-effective than checking each row of hills for growth.

Oh yea well my dad can beat up your dad!!! :mad:

Just kidding, I know that's not how you meant it. But on the points I added emphasis too, I disagree. I'm under the impression that most people put multiple rhizomes into each hill. Suppose we'd need a poll to know for sure.

Schlante,
Phillip

I will have to go for the multiple rhizomes per hill. From what I have read they suggest two to three per hill to make sure at least one of them takes off. I suppose as a homegrower with only a few hills to worry about it is not a big deal if there are one or three per hill as long as they all get going. Also, when pre ordering, you can almost be sure you are going to get a good growing plant, rather than finding out that the one rhizome was no good and now there are none left until next year.

If they both grow you might have trouble keeping up with the water and fertilizer requirements in a pot. If they both take off, I'd trim each one back to no more than 2 bines each for this reason. Yellow leaves means they are starving for nutrients BTW.

2 rhizomes per mound is ideal. Rhizomes can also prop each other up. In year one that's important. After 3-4 years you'll have more than you'll know what to do with if they took anyway, so double em up!

2 rhizomes per mound is ideal. Rhizomes can also prop each other up. In year one that's important. After 3-4 years you'll have more than you'll know what to do with if they took anyway, so double em up!

You've got to explain what "propping each other up" means. I've always planned a trellis before I purchased a plant so the structure has been there when needed.

BTW, I would love a tett rhizome next spring if we could work out an exchange.

Hmm I bought a single nugget and cascade last month and hadn't heard about multiples per hill. Is this also why a lot of people run 2 different strings per hill?

You've got to explain what "propping each other up" means. I've always planned a trellis before I purchased a plant so the structure has been there when needed.

BTW, I would love a tett rhizome next spring if we could work out an exchange.

So I don't have any formal scholarly evidence for this - but the two reasons I would use are: two per mound means you actually should have a much higher probably of a mound that works. While the cost is a bit higher, you have to wait 1 year for these to become established anyway, might as well get it right.
Second - and this is more my observation. I've noticed that by pruning and letting some of the stronger bines go - they often intertwine and literally become their own support. In year one - that may not be that meaningful - but I can tell you that some of my second year bines are actually doing this. I'll see if can get some photos so you can see what I mean.

Back