Good (cheap) web hosting place?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
I think there are enough computer geeks out here for this question... What web hosting company is out there that offers a good price that is .net friendly? Looking to get a fair price for the amt of disk space quota that also offers sql availability? smtp/pop as well.

I've been paying for public IP thru my DSL and the performance isn't cutting it for a web server and I'm sick of having a small server in the house.

www.nearlyfreespeech.net

Simple and direct TACOS (Terms and Conditions of Service) as opposed to the legalistic TOS (Terms of Service) that other hosts come up with. Oriented toward freedom of speech. You can have sites that promote all the vices in life, like drinking and smoking and guns and yes, even that other one, s*x.

Billing is based on actual usage in terms of bandwidth and storage occupancy, and is very much more reasonable that other hosts. Since you are not paying a monthly fee to be hosted, just paying for actual resource consumption, it is far cheaper for most people's sites than even a $5.99 a month site would be.

All they ask is that you respect their TACOS.

EDIT: NearlyFreeSpeech has SQL. You get your own dedicated SQL process, and you can arrange with them for more if you need it. They don't have POP/SMTP service right now, but can forward email sent to your site to another email address. You can host your email, though, at someplace like everyone.net or 1and1.com, and it works transparently and seamlessly with the NFS hosting.

EDIT2: www.1and1.com can host and provide email POP/SMTP service for a fairly low price, but not as cheap as NFS. The 1and1 TOS is typical of most hosts, filled with legalese and restrictions.

EDIT3: Go to webhostingtalk.com and you'll find lots of discussion about various hosts.

I've used a number of cheap providers and even for my little personal site the service wasn't adequate or reliable.

I'd say splurge and go with www.hostgator.com at $85/year

I'm not sure about .net but SQL etc. are well covered.

I ended up going with godaddy which offers pretty much everything I was looking for. The wife is trying to start up her design business and I'm going to setup a web site for her. Actually pretty cheap here IMO.

$11.44 for two years domain name registration
$67 for two years web hosting. 500mb max storage; 250mb daily pipe; 500 email addresses (25mb ea limit & smtp/pop) and webmail. mySQL, .net, form email support and good super bowl commercials ;).

Only bummer was I "thought" that it stated I could host multiple sites on the 500mb storage to move my little brewing web content too. Couldn't figure it out so I called and, noooo.. Aliases and some other sub-domain stuff just so you can have multiple names go back to the main content. That'd cost more money for another site. Bastages weren't very clear with their advertising.

Truly, if you don't need a single-provider solution for hosting and email, look at www.nearlyfreespeech.net for your brewing site. Not counting the cost of a domain registration, and assuming you are not running a forum or a huge image posting site with user contributions and you don't get slashdotted, I'd be extremely surprised if you could manage to rack up more than $15 or $20 dollars a year in charges. There is no monthly fee at NFS. You pay for what you use, and it is very nicely priced.

You can have email for your domain forwarded to another account by NFS if you transfer your domain to them. That will save you money and be just fine for the typical "webmaster@" and "brewmaster@" addresses. Send it to your gmail account, and set up your gmail to make the from address appear to be from your site. Should work fine.

You can transfer domains you own to NFS if you want, but you don't need to. You can just point your CNAME alias records to the NFS server your site is hosted on. If you don't want to use the NFS email forwarding service (which they charge you for at .02 per registered domain per day and requires that you transfer your domain to them), see if your domain registrar has free email forwarding for domains, whether hosted or parked. NameCheap does, for example.

I have a virtual server from GoDaddy so I can host my multiple website. I have had no problems with them at all. I think I can host up to 30 websites with the virtual server.

Oh, and another thing about www.nearlyfreespeech.net is that you can host as many sites as you like with them, all billed to the same account. Or, you can separate the billing for different sites if you prefer under your user account. There is no extra per-site fee.

Thanks all. I'll review the others as well for my brew site. I'm in for 24 mo with daddy for the wifey.

Cregar - I just have the el-cheapo econony web contract currently. Are you doing the 29.99 per mo thing for the v-server account? That's more than what I'll be needing since it's mostly static stuff.

I was just looking at the godaddy economy service and it looks like you can create a domain alias. This means that you should be able to at least use them for email and have a landing space for your brewery domain. You may have to specify a directory in your brewery URLs to prevent people from landing on your wife's design page but that's not too bad.

Many hosting companies use a program called "cpanel" for site administration. If you are looking at one of those sites they refer to multiple domains on the same account as "Add-on domains"

I have a number of domains registered through godaddy but I don't have anything hosted there so I am not familiar with the specifics on their hosting services.

good luck

Back