Bubbling secondary. . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pericles

Reaction score
I primaried a wheat beer for 7 days, as per the instructions, and as I always have in the past. The hydrometer readings were constant for the last two days, so I transferred - for the first time - to a secondary for clarification and conditioning.

(I know, I know, wheats don't need to clarify, but I thought I'd give it a chance.)

It's been in the secondary for two weeks, but, just a few days ago, the airlock started bubbling again. Do we think it's fermentation restarting. . . somehow. . . or something more sinister? I was planning on bottling tonight. . .

If you're seeing offgassing, I would NOT bottle. It could be that it wasn't completely finished fermenting when you racked it...give it a few more days, check your gravity again. If it's changed, then, yeah, you know the drill. Just wait.

I'm having the same situation I guess, and that's what prompted me to seek out and sign up on this AWESOME website! I've siphoned over into the secondary and it's back in action bubbling. It had ceased...so I thought. Is that normal? Should I just let it go until it finishes? Or siphon into another vessel and see what happens? I'm just going to wait until it quits unless someone instructs me to do something otherwise.

I'm having the same situation I guess, and that's what prompted me to seek out and sign up on this AWESOME website! I've siphoned over into the secondary and it's back in action bubbling. It had ceased...so I thought. Is that normal? Should I just let it go until it finishes? Or siphon into another vessel and see what happens? I'm just going to wait until it quits unless someone instructs me to do something otherwise.

Check the SG. And then check it in two days again. If it's the same, the beer is just releasing co2 that was dissolved in it and may be ready to bottle. If the SG is dropping, the beer is still fermenting. That's the only way to know for sure.

Sometimes changes in weather (temperature and barometric pressure) cause some co2 to come bubbling out of suspension, so it's hard to tell what the cause is.

Back