The not to hoppy-but tasty coffee porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thataintchicken

Reaction score
Was brewing this today and thought I'd share.
This is SWMBO's session beer, created for her tastes. She is very particular and knows where the knives are kept.

It's extract with grains - almost a PM -- very quick and easy to brew.

6lbs. light malt extract.
8 oz. Munich Malt ( 10L )
8 oz. Black Patent Malt ( 60L )
4 oz. Chocolate Malt
2 oz. Steel Cut Oats -- not for flavor but mouth feel
all grains steeped at 160 for 30 minutes before adding liquid to brew kettle.

1 oz. Styrian Goldings ( 60 min )
.5 oz Fuggles ( UK ) aroma @ ( 5 min ).

1 pot french press cold extracted coffee - whatever Peet's has on sale :
Safale S-04.

recipe shared under the influence of recently kegged Cherry Apfelwein.
The author can not be held responsible.. as clearly, he is not :rockin::tank:

Two things. First off, thanks for sharing the recipe, I've been looking for a coffee porter recipe.

Second, and this is a newbie question. Since you're brewing a dark beer, why did you use light malt extract instead of a darker extract?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the idea is that when you use light dme you can create the dark flavors and colors yourself using the grains you want. The grains used in making the darker dme are of unknown quantity and type. So its for consistency and control.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the idea is that when you use light dme you can create the dark flavors and colors yourself using the grains you want. The grains used in making the darker dme are of unknown quantity and type. So its for consistency and control.

Good information to know. Thanks :mug:

Back