Brewferm Tarwebier Kit (Belgian Witbier)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosium

Reaction score
Hi all

I bought a brewferm kit as my first brew, just finished making the wort a few moments ago. It comes as a tin of malt extract and a little sachet of dry yeast, so I put the malt extract in a bain marie on the stove to liquify, and I made some invert sugar on the stove top.

I used bottled water, and decided not to boil as my water is sterile. Any extra water I used to rinse out the tin with was straight from the kettle, and I sterilized *everything* I used. I'm using a really big food-grade bucket, with a grommet and a better bottle drytrap airlock.

I think I cocked the recipe up a bit though, as I put about one extra litre in it (the recipe called for 14L plus the extract, I prob put in about 15.5L). I worked this out when the SG was 1.042 instead of 1.052, so I added some extra sugar to boost it back up (it's at 1.054 now). Hopefully this doesn't affect the taste too much? The recipe just said sugar, I bought white sucrose and cooked it up as per the wiki to make invert sugar.

Just pitched the yeast, it was a little warm (24deg C) but I couldn't bear to wait any longer for it to chill. I really need a wort chiller, next thing on the equipment list.

so excited to finally be doing a brew! will update as it goes along if anyone's interested ;)

G

Congratulations on your first kit. As per the sugar some people claim it adds a cidery taste to the beer, but I have never used it myself so I can not really comment. Alot of people who use kits eventually sub out the sugar for malt extract(liquid or dry, usually un hopped). At 24 C your yeast should be fine. Depending on the yeast strain you might want to ferment a few degrees below 24 C.

Cheers and welcome to the addiction.

Hi,

I just made this kit about a week ago. I did not use sugar , instead we used two pounds of mutons wheat spray malt. I have used the dried spray malts in other no-boil kits and it works very well. My brew shop told me not to add the sugar because it would give it a cidery taste, but that is up to you.

Good Luck :mug:

I just put this kit in the primary a week ago. I used 2 cups of candi beet sugar, 2 cups of corn sugar and 2 cups DME. Not sure about the outcome.

Back