flying with beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quixotic

Reaction score
I'd like to pack some homebrew with me on an upcoming flight back home, but security only lets you bring a few ounces of liquid on the plane now. So I believe that checking it in is my only option (short of mailing).

I was wondering if anyone has experience with packing bottled home brews in their check-in luggage.

Is this a bottle bomb waiting to happen :eek: , or am I good to go? Maybe a growler (or any other twist off) would be better? Thought/ideas?

Bottle them in Pete bottles.

plastic_beer_bottle.jpg

You can get them from most LHBS's or online....even through mrbeer.com since they include them with their kits...

thanks. Luckily, it's kegged right now, so no problem filling to a plastic bottle. Good idea, I think I might have a few of those laying around.

I've never brought homebrews on flights with me (haven't flown anywhere since i've been in the hobby). But i can speak for commercial beers in which i have never had a problem bringing a few bottles in my checked luggage. Just make sure you pack them good. Meaning plenty of clothes in between bottles. Sounds kinda ghetto but i normally just roll them up in some tshirts or something. And i've done this flying all over the world. Never had a bottle break.

Whenever I fly I always take beers with me. Usually homebrew out wherever I am going and some commercial beer back with me. Generally what I do is put each beer in a nice fluffy sock and then wrap them all in clothes so they cant possible bang into each other. When I first started doing this I always put the clothes/towels with the beer in them in a garbage bag in case of an accident but I've never had a problem with it.

On occasions where I don't have much luggage and have lots of beer to bring I'll just wrap up beer just like I would ship it and check that. A full case of beer weighs about 32lbs (the case I just filled up with various beers weighed that), so even with good packing it would be under their 50lbs limit. If its in a separate package I'd try to keep it under 25lbs just to be safe.

Whenever I fly I always take beers with me. Usually homebrew out wherever I am going and some commercial beer back with me. Generally what I do is put each beer in a nice fluffy sock and then wrap them all in clothes so they cant possible bang into each other. When I first started doing this I always put the clothes/towels with the beer in them in a garbage bag in case of an accident but I've never had a problem with it.

On occasions where I don't have much luggage and have lots of beer to bring I'll just wrap up beer just like I would ship it and check that. A full case of beer weighs about 32lbs (the case I just filled up with various beers weighed that), so even with good packing it would be under their 50lbs limit. If its in a separate package I'd try to keep it under 25lbs just to be safe.

Unfortunately, many domestic carriers are now charging for an extra piece of checked baggage - usually about $40.

I travel all the time and I do what others have said, wrap them in your suitcase never had a problem yet. What I would do is weigh your suitcase before you leave and then weigh a 12oz bottle so you know how heavy you can be without paying the over weigh fine.

I packed 18 homebrews into one duffel bag and luckily every single one survived. I wrapped each bottle with paper towels and placed them in sixers. This prevented them from tapping each other. Then I wrapped each sixer in a large bath towel and finally I stuffed the excess space on all sides of the duffel bag with a couple of blankets. When wrapping the sixers I made sure to stuff well in between the bottle necks as well. Good luck!

I've traveled several times with crown capped homebrew in my luggage. Last summer, traveling in warm weather, I had about a 25% rate of leaking bottles. (My underwear smelled of chocolate stout!) Could have been a coincidence, but no problems at all in cooler weather. Since then I've put each bottle in a ziploc before wrapping in clothes.

Bottle them in Pete bottles.

plastic_beer_bottle.jpg

You can get them from most LHBS's or online....even through mrbeer.com since they include them with their kits...[/QUOTE

I suppose these PET bottles need to have the brand new caps on them to prove that they have not been opened and tampered with? I usually just use previously used caps for my PET bottles but when it comes to flying with them I wonder if they need to be the brand new caps.

Back