Rodent proof grain in my basement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcorn

Reaction score
Ok so my girlfriend and her family made me a huge homebrewstation/bar for my birthday and built it in my basement. In the inside of the bar I can place all of my grains and homebrewing equipment. I buy most of my batches in 12 grain uncrushed grain which arrives in sealed bags. Are these sealed bags (some of them I break down into halves in ziploc baggies) rodent proof if I place them in the shelves of my bar? What is the proper way of storing this stuff? I have never seen a mouse in my house but it is a very old house. kentuckybar.jpg

kentuckybarinside.jpg

I'd seal the bags in Rubbermaid containers. Critters can smell yummy right through plastic bags and will eat through the bags to get at the seeds. So you really need to put at least one more layer between your grain and "predators".

Plus sealing it in a tightly-sealed plastic container will also keep it fresher longer.

Bob

I have the same problem..especially now that it's getting cooler. I use some rubbermaid type containers..seems to work

Dude that is KILLER! What a great gift from a GF and parents! She is a KEEPER for sure!!

You will want to add more than the Zip Lock bags for sure. Homer buckets work good if they will fit in there. They seal up nicely. But your going to want to add something else.

Nice bar! I love it.

Cheers
Jay

Even plastic boxes are not rodent proof. If you find ANY evidence of rodents, set traps. Some sort of metal boxes with airtight containers inside. I have my grains in the basement in buckets with Gamma lids and others in lock and lock containers. No problems so far.

Nope, not Rubbermaid. My place is only 30yrs old, and it is rodent Grand Central. I catch(dead!!!) a dozen mice a year, and every so often, one scales a metal cabinet to get at food. I have about 12 traps, and, at night I may hear the SNAP! as another mouse gets whacked.
I have a chipmunk, who stays outside, but he gnawed thru a poly jug to get sunflower seeds.
You will have to use metal, preferably steel trash cans, with snug lids. Surround the cans with traps.
If one does get to your grain, it may sound disgusting, but, if you can remove the turds, the boil will kill most pathogens.

Jaybird, thanks man yes I absolutely love it and am now finishing out my basement because of it! Shes a keeper for sure. Supports all of my crazy antics and brewing bs lol.
I buy alot of 10lb uncrushed 2 row bags. Seems like they would be akward to fit in a bucket. Guess I could always open the bags and directly pour all grain into a bucket though? Seems kinda pointless to take them out of a sealed bag too though...

I have my grains in sealed Homer buckets and I still get some bugs. I have no idea how. They get run through the mill, mashed at 152', boiled for 60 minutes, fermented for 3 weeks and bottled for 3 weeks. I doubt they survived. I reckon you could put a turd through there without a problem.

My basement had a big earwig problem this summer. All my grain is either in the plastic bags from the malsters or the homebrew shop, then it goes into a big Rubbermaid tote. All my base malts are in the Rubbermaid totes. All the specialty grains are in a shopping bag. Haven't had any problems so far. Make sure you sweep up after you spill your grain. Don't leave any invitations!

If your getting BUGS in your sealed buckets then just a tip to stop that is take the line off your CO2 and stuff it down in the grain and turn it on and move it around in the grain, purging the bucket of air. Then put the lid back on and you should be good to go. The bugs cannot live in an environment without oxygen. I do this with the feed cracked corn at the store because it seems to always attract bugs if I don't and I was tired of throwing out corn.

Cheers
Jay

Back