Beer Foaming out of Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rilewedge

Reaction score
I just checked a batch of Belgian Ale I had bottled 20ish days ago. When I open a bottle it turns the entire bottle into foam. I had it refrigerated for a week before opening it.

Question: Did I add to much carbonation sugar? 4.4 OZ 5 gallon batch was blue in beer smith.

I did not check the end gravity (lazy and paying the price?). Was the beer not ready for bottling? 30 days in the fermenter with no bubbles in airlock for a week or so.

something else? infection?

Sounds like infection since you went 30 days and didn't use too much sugar. (You didn't check FG, but you observed it go through fermentation, right?) Do you taste any funky Brettanomyces flavors in the beer (or foam in your case)? My friend had an entire batch of infected bottles. If he got them really cold, he could open a 22oz bottle and only lose maybe 1/4 of the bottle to foam. The beer was super funky, Brett flavored. In his case, the bottles would explode if left at room temperature, so you should be very careful.

You might want to test more bottles before doing anything drastic like dumping the batch, but be careful. Maybe you just got unlucky and picked the one foaming bottle to open.

I have checked 4 through the fridge and all foamed away to nothing.
I dumped the full batch today all of them foamed and the ones I did taste were funky.
I did see it bubbling away early in the fermentation. I have been using dishwasher to sterilize looks like that's not enough or I did something silly in the process. I do try to keep everything clean and sanitary.

You need to get in the habit of checking for FG, just because it sat for 30 days is no guarantee it was done. What if it got stuck?

IMO/IME dishwashers are not adequate for cleaning or sanitizing as it is difficult for the water to actually get up into the bottles thoroughly. You should be cleaning them with PBW or OXY and sanitizing with Star San, no rinse, don't fear the foam!

In addition, it's possible tat the 20 days was not long enough to fully carb and condition and even with a week in the fridge they may have just needed more time but my main guess is the batch got infected and you got gushers!

I had gushers one time, but it was a really big beer. Russian Imperial Stout with a 22 lb grain bill. It took a good 6 months in the bottle for them to calm down. I tried one a month at least for a while and every one I popped went off like a volcano. First one caught me over a carpeted floor with white walls. Messy is all I can say. It was an incredible beer though once conditioned out, very good. It was 1.094 SG if I remember correctly and ended up at 1.024. Conditioning these big beers just takes longer. How big was your Belgian?

Let them sit for longer. I had numerous batches do this once I switched to all grain. Usually six to eight weeks and you should be in the clear. If they are still doing after six then you should change your tubing,spigot and focus on really cleaning your bottles. Changed mine to be safe and let them sit for a minimum four weeks to sample.

Well,he did say that they tasted funky. I'm betting on the infection. 20 days is one day shy of 3 weeks.,which should normally be fine for an average ale. My 2nd batch did that,& needed another week or so. But it def wasn't the gusher infection. It tasted fine at that point. This one doesn't,so I say infection was in the not-cleaned-so well bottles. Soak them in PBW for a day,then sanitize with starsan. I've even cleaned infected tubing this way & safely reused it.

Back