Pride of Ringwood Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evets

Reaction score
I snagged a pound of pellets AA 6.9% from my LHBS for $12.50. I've never used these before. Anybody Know what these are like? Suggested styles or recipes?

It's an Australian hop (maybe THE Australian hop). Per BYO: Quite pronounced, woody, earthy, herbal. Porter, stout, ESB

Yeah, thanks David. After I posted this I remembered the sticky at the top of the page. I might try these in a amber lager of some kind.

Aussie as they come - bitter, earthy, dry, tasteless ??. PoR is used in virtually all Australian commercial brews often as the only hop. Has no real aroma qualities (the breweries seem to think we Aussies don't need to smell anything). If you've tried any commercial Aussie beer, you'll know what I mean.

That said, PoR is brilliant as your bittering hop. If you like aroma, late add small aroma hops. Never late hop PoR - waste of time.

Used in Aussie in lagers (Fosters, VB, XXXX) in dark ales (Tooheys Old, Carlton Black) and in Coopers (kits too).

I love it, but use it wisely. It is often maligned by people who can't use it properly.

If you want a quaffing brew, it's ideal and worth finding some good aussie recipes for. PM me if you need some.

How much POR would you recommend for bittering 23 litres? Or at least, what would be an acceptable range (lowest to highest)
Cheers

I just put down a batch with POR. I used a draft tin, s05 yeast, caramunich grains, 1 kg LDME and 30 grams steeped of the pride of ringwood hops. I figure that because it will have a sweet foundation, i will dry hop another 30 grams with the pride of ringwood. I am interested to see how this one turns out, i am hoping that the hops (usually quite bitter and have a very distinctive taste) will balance it out well.

Will let everyone knows how it goes.

Hey guys,

Had that recipe I was talking about before. POR hops definitely more mellow than i thought. Easy drinking beer. Like a full bodies ale. Pretty nice!

Back