Godiva Chocolate Vanilla nut coffee stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublimelyrighteous

Reaction score
Hello all, I am both new to brewing ( about a year and eight 5 gallons batches of extract, soon to convert to all grain but don't know enough about it to pull the trigger on fabricating my own system ) and new the Home Brew Talk forums ( about 1ish day ). Although I've been reading and following posts for quite some time I figured I'd chime in and do my part to contribute instead of trolling around pages and benefiting from everyone's hard work. As I sit here and sip back my Stone 16th anniversary IPA, I have just finished racking into my secondary a Chocolate stout onto 1 cup of Vanilla nut coffee grounds. Below I will explain my recipe and what I've done to it so far.

Chocolate stout: 5 gal yield

2 cans Munton's Dark Malt Extract (3.3 lbs each)
1 lb Caramel Malt 80L, Milled.
1/2 lb Roasted Barley, Milled.
1/4 lb Black Patent Malt, Milled.
1/4 lb Chocolate Malt, Milled.
1/2 lb unsweetened baking chocolate ( substituted Godiva chocolate for my wife)
2 Oz Fuggle ( AA= 5.6%)
UK Ale yeast ( I pitched a mixture of WLP002/WLP005)

O.G. 1.065
F.G. 1.016
ABV 6.3

3 Gallons boil to 165,
steeped for 15 minutes than returned to a boil
( i took my wifes pyrex glass bowl and heated the godiva chocolate upon her request otherwise would have used bakers unsweatened and took the heated wort out of the boil kettle and mixed in the bowl until a chocolatey wort goodness was in full solution then poured it in at the beginning of the boil. )
set timer for 60 mins
added 1 oz of fuggle
@ 30 mins added 1/2 oz of fuggle
and 15 i added the last 1/2 of the fuggle.
cooled to 70 and pitched my yeast.

I broke my barometer during brew day so I cant tell you my gravity, I will soon be ordering a refractometor off northern brewer soon before I am tired of replacing those damn things..

I just moved from southern California to chandler, AZ and don't have the luxury of nice weather or a way of fermenting at lower temps because of space available and living in my apartment ( plans for fermenting fridge are in the works, however i am tired of sanitizing 80+ bottles at a time so I plan to purchase my first kegging system before this is done so that I may enjoy it on tap.) it fermented at 78-80 for 1 week.

I just racked into a my secondary on 1 cup of ground Vanilla nut coffee beans from sprouts market place and will let it sit at 78-80 for another 10 days before I keg and enjoy the fruits of my labor. Thanks for taking the time and stopping by, please leave any input or experiences with a similar recipe below. CHEERS!:mug:

Sounds good! Is that godiva chocate have the higher fat content, as opposed to the cocoa powder? I've read people add the cocoa closer to the end of the boil, but I'd like to hear how this works. Did you sample it after the primary?
I love stouts!

I think the fat content is little bit higher, but to be truthful I am not quite sure. I have heard of some people throwing in Cocoa nibs but I have never done this because I couldn't find it around here. I did taste it last night, and oh man! It has a nice even roasted flavor with a hint of bittersweet chocolate undertones that move across the pallet and its more of a dryer ending to it than I thought but I am very pleased with it so far. Cant wait to see what this vanilla does, I will definitely keep you all posted. Today is brew day again and we will be kicking off a Honey Brown Ale here shortly.:rockin:

OP, I like your style!! I am currently making a Chocolate milk stout and have never used chocolate or lactose before. I wasn't sure when to add my bakers unsweetened chocolate bars and will go with 30 and 45. I will post how it turns out, but how was yours on the vanilla coffee?

Back