Palate is in your mouth, palette is for painters, pallet is made of wood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
forum

I'm among the few I know to never use "2" or "u" or "r" in a text message.

Affect vs. effect bugs me.

And I hate when people say "an historic" as opposed to "a historic", although that one's up for debate with some regional difference, apparently.

Although I do get mad with the whole "irregardless isn't a word!" diatribe. It's a rare and archaic usage, but it's legitimate.

In the past, there were educated and uneducated people.

Now, there are educated and uneducated people.

In the future, there will be educated and uneducated people.

This is reality. I suggest accepting it or you will find yourself acting out in strange ways, like posting rants about it on internet forums. G'day mates!

I don't really care about all the other common grammar errors, I figured you guys would have some fun with it. Seeing as how this is a brewing forum and I see some form of palate used incorrectly almost daily, I figured some could use a refresher.

I gave up being a grammar cop when they said I couldn't beat the living sh*t out of offenders anymore.....

Qhrumphf said:
And I hate when people say "an historic" as opposed to "a historic", although that one's up for debate with some regional difference, apparently.

see, if a person is British and doesn't pronounce the initial H on a word, then saying "an historic" makes perfect sense. You use "an" when there's no consonant on the beginning of the next word.

What bugs the hell out of me is Americans who DO pronounce the H using "an historic" in an effort to be pretentious.

see, if a person is British and doesn't pronounce the initial H on a word, then saying "an historic" makes perfect sense. You use "an" when there's no consonant on the beginning of the next word.

What bugs the hell out of me is Americans who DO pronounce the H using "an historic" in an effort to be pretentious.

Right, it all depends on how you pronounce the word. I mean, clearly, saying someone put in "an honest day's work" is valid. Historic is no difference, if you don't pronounce the h.

TromboneGuy said:

You use "an" when you don't *pronounce* a consonant. You've just demonstrated an example where there is a consonant (though not pronounced), and an example of the opposite (that it can still just be "a" even when the next word starts with a vowel) would be "a European".

This is what I'm talking about. Doesn't bug me if the H isn't pronounced and it flows correctly. But there's a local news anchor who always pronounces "an historic" with the H, and it makes me want to throw a brick at the TV every time I hear it.

et mea culpa
Yup ... ellipsis - punctuation for the masses.
It's, uh ... like, um a pausitive for writers.

Back