Apples but no press, or freezer room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guthrie

Reaction score
Have about 50 pounds of apples that I want to use for cider but I don't have a press or any freezer room can anyone help me out with some ideas.

You might find this info i posted on an old thread helpful. (look at the videos at the bottom for the garbage disposal apple shreader. You may be able to rig somethig up.

77-125-i2.jpg

How to Build a Cider Press

You can also make one out of an old Maytag washer evidently. (this article is awesome, especially if you are going to consistantly be doing large batches...)

THE MAYTAG CIDER PRESS

Here's another design.... CIDER PRESS

Another

I can't show you, you have to be a Craft Subscriber to view the online edition, but they recommend a 30 dollar home depot garbage disposal mounted on a frame and emptying into a bucket to shred the apples prior to juicing and pressing, for those of you who don't have a free juicer...
like this...

YouTube - Garbage Disposal Apple Grinder (Crusher)

YouTube - Seneca Falls Apple Grinders batch 5

This is cool too. But more work than a garbage disposal.

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/press/apple_grinder.html

screw_drum.jpg

jigged_up_test.jpg

Thanks I'll give it a look over, hopefully it will help because it would be a shame to let all those apples go to waste.

Here's an idea,

Once you grind them in the garbage disposal setup you could fashion a simple juice press with 3 homer type plastic buckets nested within each other. Drill some tiny holes in the bottom of one, stick that one inside another, then dump the pulped apples in it, and place the third bucket inside of that one, then keep adding weight or even maybe just human pressure on the top bucket to compress it and have it collect in the bottom one.....

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea. The video for the garbage disposal was taken down but do you think it would be possible to just take a plank of wood and mash them in the bucket?

I tried the buckets out it didn't really work to well, the apple mulch just clogged the wholes I drilled and the liquid could not make its way in to the final bucket.

I might try to drill some bigger wholes and fit the second bucket with a cheese cloth and try again.

Back