CaraPils vs. Crystal Malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
So... I've been brewing for awhile now; started extract then moved to all-grain, naturally. One thing I've always wondered about, though never asked, is:

What's the point in using CaraPils (Dextrin) when I can more precisely contribute to both color and flavor using Crystal malts? I understand using it if you ONLY want to contribute to body/head retention without affecting flavor or color, but I usually design my beers from scratch and forget about the CaraPils until the end. I'm wondering if others tend to get their body and foam from CaraPils, or other non-fermentables, such as Crystal malts?

Even without Carapils, I get decent foam retention... and my body is usually more a function of my mash temperature and % of non-fermentable specialty grains.

Cheers! :mug:

.....I understand using it if you ONLY want to contribute to body/head retention without affecting flavor or color...

There ya go. I only use CaraPils if I'm making lighter beers. The most appropriate style for it's use is in the name ;)

I do find it weird when I see recipes that have CaraPils, even though they already have crystal/wheat/other-head-retention-grain

I only use carapils when needed- like in a Bohemian pilsner that is all pilsner malt except for 1 pound of carapils.

If I'm using any other crystal malt, I think it's redundant. I get plenty of head and foam from crystal malt.

Typically used in lighter beers where color and sweetness aren't desirable. In those types of beers its great.

erikhild59 said:
Typically used in lighter beers where color and sweetness aren't desirable. In those types of beers its great.

Word. That's when I use it.

Mike "Tasty" McDole uses significant amounts of both crystal 40 and carapils in his Amber Ale and Janet's Brown Ale (as featured in Brewing Classic Styles). So I don't think there are any set rules for making good beer.

Mike "Tasty" McDole uses significant amounts of both crystal 40 and carapils in his Amber Ale and Janet's Brown Ale (as featured in Brewing Classic Styles). So I don't think there are any set rules for making good beer.

Oh, I don't think anybody is saying crystal and carapils would make bad beer.... it's just redundant.

Back