Abita Jockamo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarlessmeanie

Reaction score
I had this for the first time last night. I'm a pretty big fan of IPAs, but I was really let down by this one. It seemed to me to be too spicy or too floral or something. The aroma really kind of grossed me out, and there was this weird kick to it that reminded me of stale cheese...

Did I get a bad bottle or something? Is anyone else getting this vibe? Or am I just crazy. I wish I knew what exactly I was tasting. I'm still new to homebrewing so I can't pin down exactly what it was.

The label says it's brewed with pale, red, and caramel malts, and hopped and dry hopped with Colombus and Willamette. Any idea what it might be?

I liked it thought it was different, i do remember it being pretty spicy and roasty and i almost want to say robust.I would try another at another point may have been poorly stored or shipped. Maybe your getting the stale cheese with the herbal aroma or maybe you got an yeast off taste.
Maybe they used stale oxidized hops, i remember going to a food coop and checking out the hops in the herbal section opening the jar and it smelled cheesy and buttery.

I did try another one a couple nights ago and it was a LOT better than my first experience. I think you're right about something being oxidized... It probably was the hops. The other bottle was still different, but tolerable. The first one I had was AWFUL.

Had one at the Salt Factory Pub in Roswell, GA recently and there was something amiss...

It is sad when my non-beer-drinking fiancee agrees that it "just ain't right"....

I have tried it once. I won't say it was good or bad based on one bottle. It was damn fresh considering I bought it in the next town down the road from Abita Springs. It was just kinda boring for an IPA.

I had one the last time I was in New Orleans and it tasted like dirty feet. I was not impressed at all.

I couldn't even call this one an IPA. It was really bad...tasted oxidized and not very bitter at all. There are a lot of pale ales that are way more hoppy than this thing.

It was in an Abita variety pack and the only beer that got consumed quickly was Purple Haze...and not by me.

Interesting. Its been a while since I've had a Jockamo, but my experiences have always been good.

i'm drinking one of these as i type - i didn't look forward to drinking it, but i figured i should clear up some space in my fridge. it's not horrible but not very good - there are too many IPAs out there that are much better than this for me to buy it again. i agree that the smell isn't the best. also, it kind of tastes like there is some added sugar, like maltodextrin or something, which i also don't care for...

I had some New Years night of 2010-2011. I don't remember hating it at the time. I was singing the damn song since they had the words on the label. It was close to midnight. I do remember drinking all 6 though. I had 6 empties in the morning anyways. Amongst other things...;)

Back