Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BilltownBandit

Reaction score
I have considered buying a filter. Anyone have any advice on what to get or on if it makes that bignof difference. Also, what stage does one perform filtration?:mug:

I bought one and used it once. Kettle / secondary finings, appropriate hot/cold break, and it's really not necessary. The only beer l ever poured down the drain ran through that filter - although it wasn't the filtering that ultimately was my problem. Personally, not worth it in my opinion.

I purchased a set up that goes from keg to keg with CO2 pushing. Used it twice. Waste of money.

Yes, it filters wonderfully, but whirfloc and cold crashing do the same thing for much cheaper. My filtering did nothing for chill haze either.

hahaha I JUST filtered my 1st beer and thought it did a decent job (only a 5 micron filter). I had a muddy, cloudy, chunky pumpkin ale that needed some love. I have less than $46 invested in 2 housings, 2-5 micron and 1-1 micron filter set. If you want the site and link I can dig it up.

I seem to get some large "floaters" in my ales. While this doesn't really bother me most of the time, in the instance of my pumpkin ale it was driving me crazy. Will I filter every beer? probably not but now that I am joining the CCPF (Completely closed pressurized fermentation) folks I will be transferring from keg to keg anyway so I can filter if I feel like it OR I can pack that housing full of whole leaf hops and randal into the keg, then swap it into the serving line and randal out; also a bigger PITA that what it is probably worth but I like having the ability to do it.

For what it is worth I can make good beer with a can of LME, dry yeast, city water, old hops and some pet bottles with screw on caps but I like to have the ability to brew AG, mill my own malt, make a yeast starter, force carb and serve from a tap. ;) You are going to do what you have already decided to do no matter what we would chime in about anyways...lol.

Back