Weissbier 1st Place HBT Comp Category 15A

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-06
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 at 62 degrees
Tasting Notes
Taste: (41.0 apparently) Very nive simple Wheat beer. Perfect color but the alcohol i
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 5.00 %
5.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 55.00 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.00 %
1.15 oz Hallertauer [3.00 %] (90 min) Hops 13.8 IBU
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Safbrew WB-06 (Fermentis #WB-06) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 4 gallons of water at 172 F 154.0 F

Notes:

My typical mash schedule of 10 pounds of grain, 4 gallons of 172 degree strike water and two 2-gallon sparges of nearly boiling water.

Sorry, this is probably the least expensive and most simple recipe to win. The two things that make this good, in my opinion, are the higher mash temperature and lower fermentation temperature. Many of my Hefes have been a bit thin, even watery when I mashed at the standard 149/150. After reading many of Biemuncher’s posts and recipes I noticed some higher mash temps and fuller bodied beers. I now mash most of my beers at 154 or higher for a full 90 minutes.

Total price per 5 gallon batch is probably less than $15 and even less with bulk grains and by salvaging a quart of US-06 slurry. It’s a simple single infusion mash at a slightly high temp and whatever you do- don’t forget the rice hulls.

Heh, no apologies necessary! Don't under-sell yourself - a 41 score with such a simple grain bill is further proof that great beer is more about the brewer than the recipe.

Way to go!

The 90 min ph 5.2 should be added before mash right? dont you want ph in check during mash.

Interesting

I brewed a wheat beer with a similar grain bill, but with a pound of honey (same OG), same yeast, and hops, and fermented at the same temperature, but the beer finished much high in SG, around 1015 and had a very pronounced citrus character as it fermented. There was a good bit of clove and only a little banana flavor though the aroma was there. I didn't have a yeast cake or slurry to pitch, but I had about a 1L of 2 day starter made from 11g of dry yeast that looked to be pretty active.

It's just interesting how we had such different experiences making basically the same beer with the same ingredients, I just that just means I need more practice :)

I brewed this beer with a couple of modifications:

- 1 tablespoon orange zest for 60 minutes
- 1 tablespoon orange zest for 5 minutes
- 2 tablepsoons grated giger for 5 minutes

When I first kegged this, I noticed the citrus and ginger were stronger tasting. I just drank a glass, and they're there but not as noticeable. This could also do with the fact that the glass I just drank was chilled.

I missed the target gravity by about .010 and boiled about an hour longer but it's still very drinkable. I will definitely make this again, probably experimenting with different kinds of flavor additives.

:mug:

I'm curious about the use of rice hulls when there is no flake used...what is the significance of using them?

So why would you use such a low fermentation temp? I thought Hefs should naturally use a slightly higher temp to bring out the fruity/estery flavors and aromas.

Just curious because I am going to brew this on the weekend.

Hey Joe,

In your tasting notes, you mentioned "Perfect color, but the alcohol I"

It looks like it got cut off. Could you reiterate the 'but' portion?

Thanks

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply!

Would there be anything you would change if you were to do it again?

I came across this thread last spring. I have probably brewed about 40 gallons of this since then.

Thought I would come back pay my respects and post... and bump this recipe

Make this hefeweizen!

I havent used anything but WB-06 and I love it.

I am on Gen 4 now and I have only bought the 1 pack when I first brewed this.

Where in NJ are you? I could possible get you a bottle of liquid WB-06 from my last primary.

Shoot me PM if interested.

I havent used anything but WB-06 and I love it.

I am on Gen 4 now and I have only bought the 1 pack when I first brewed this.

Where in NJ are you? I could possible get you a bottle of liquid WB-06 from my last primary.

Shoot me PM if interested.

Thanks for the offer. I am still relatively new to brewing and only want a liquid yeast so that I could make my first starter. I either use dry or 2 vials of liquid. I am in Somerville NJ. Only on my 4th all grain batch.

On your instructions are you saying to add that Hallertauer at the beginning of the boil? And just to double check your boiling for 90 minutes?

Thats correct.

FWIW I have done 60 minute mashes and 60 minute boils with great results... the 154-155 mash temp I do think is important with this recipe.

Hope Joe doesnt mind me replying... I am up to about 80 gallons of this stuff made.

Thats correct.

Hope Joe doesnt mind me replying... I am up to about 80 gallons of this stuff made.

Mind? I think it's great.

rtt121 is correct. No late hop additions in a German Hefe. The only thing I'll add is that if you change the boil to 60 from 90 make a small hop adjustment. No big deal at all as this beer is not about the hops. Just attempt to get the IBUs between 8 and 14 and enjoy.

Sorry for not replying. I do not subscribe to any threads- including my own. I have no problem replying to PMs though.

I just made a very similar recipe, using some goldings at 10 and also fermenting at about 62F. Best tasting beer I've ever made. I'm going to split my next recipe into two, and can add the following: (1) orange peel (2) honey malt (3) pale chocolate and/or (4) smoked malt. Any votes or suggestions?

I just made a very similar recipe, using some goldings at 10 and also fermenting at about 62F. Best tasting beer I've ever made. I'm going to split my next recipe into two, and can add the following: (1) orange peel (2) honey malt (3) pale chocolate and/or (4) smoked malt. Any votes or suggestions?

1 pound of honey malt if you are going to leave the yeast as-is.

If you want a great summer beer change the yeast to US-05 and add the orange peel at flame-out.

Smoked malt takes over every beer it's in so when you go that way be prepared to make a true smoked beer.

How many volumes of CO2 have you guys been shooting for on this one? I'll be kegging a batch tonight or tomorrow and I see German Wheat listed at 3.3-4.5 volumes but thought I'd double check.

I brewed this up this past sunday. I had the worst brew day ever. For some reason my mash temp was off and was around 165 for the first 10 minutes until I got it down to 154. Then I ripped my bag (biab) on the rtd probe. I ended up putting a spare piece of sheer voile in a bucket and draining it all into that and then rinsing all the grain from my ekeggle.

I wanted to see what the OG was today and its 1.022 3 days after pitching (fermenting around 62 degrees). Hope it doesnt finish too high with my high mash temps. Smells really good though and the hydro sample definitly had that hefe clove taste to it.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I brewed this up this past sunday. I had the worst brew day ever. For some reason my mash temp was off and was around 165 for the first 10 minutes until I got it down to 154. Then I ripped my bag (biab) on the rtd probe. I ended up putting a spare piece of sheer voile in a bucket and draining it all into that and then rinsing all the grain from my ekeggle.

I wanted to see what the OG was today and its 1.022 3 days after pitching (fermenting around 62 degrees). Hope it doesnt finish too high with my high mash temps. Smells really good though and the hydro sample definitly had that hefe clove taste to it.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

No worries Bink. That tiny "pre-mash-out" won't hurt a thing. Very little conversion will be accomplished at that temperature for that short of a time. Give it time and it'll finish.

Please follow this up with further posts and pictures if possible.

You are very welcome for the recipe. It's truly my pleasure.

BTW- those nightmare brew days frequently produce some amazing beers. Don't be surprised if it's a winner winner chicken dinner.

I just took another gravity reading at 2.5 weeks in the fermentor. Its at 1.012 which is fine by me. Its gonna sit in the primary anyways for another couple of weeks until I float a keg for it so im not worried about it. Gravity sample is good and has a great clover character but not overpowering. Should be awesome carbed up!

Thanks again!

Brewed this last night. I was a little low of my efficeincy but the hydrometer sample tasted great. Looking forward to this one.

How does this beer finish so low? Beersmith is giving me estimated FG levels of 1.017. With a high mash like this. What is everyone finishing at?

Back