Been a long time coming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neonsilver

Reaction score
but it looks like I'll be getting homebrew equipment for Christmas. What I want to do is make a complete list of everything that I'll need for brewing, bottling and kegging all seperate lists. I'm thinking that I would like to go straight to kegging and leave the bottles alone but they do have quite a bit of appeal to them. So that's really my question to all of you, what exactly do I need, I don't want to miss anything? And are there homebrew secret places to buy from that are a little cheaper? I'm fairly handy but don't have a welder but I could build my own kegorator. If I can plan all of this out right on Christmas morning I'll be opening my first beer instead of just the equipment.

I think we need to know if you are going to do extract or go to all grain. Big difference.

For me, I started with extract recently and most "starter" kits you see will be just fine. They have what you need to get the job done. What comes later is stuff to make the job easier, which is subjective.

The one item that most kits exclude that you do need is a brew pot since they assume you have something large enough already.

I still recommend Craigslist sometimes you can find people getting out of brewing selling everything and you can get it for a great price.

I still recommend Craigslist sometimes you can find people getting out of brewing selling everything and you can get it for a great price.

I've been trying this but it seems the only deal I can find has a possible infection and even that one seems to be removed now. I'm going to continue to look and hopefully something will turn up.

I'll be doing extract brewing at least for a little while and I want to do a full boil.

Where are you located? You never know someone in your area may have some extra pieces they are looking to get rid of for a decent price to help out a new brewer.

Get a thick-walled aluminum 10 gallon pot (you can find them for around $50 at most restaurant supply stores. and install a spigot with a screen that is on the inside of the pot.

The whole setup for this will run you between $100-120, but believe me, it makes everything sooooo much easier. You can mash, sparge, and boil all the in the same pot and each time, just flip open the valve and it drains away.

Honestly, I would start small(er) and progress into your hobby.

Personally, I started with one of those "Kits in a box" that contained -
Primary fermenter (with lid and airlock)
Bottling Bucket
Hydrometer
Auto Siphon (life rules with this)
and the basic extract beer kit.
I had to purchase seperately -
Boil kettle (this I would go bigger with initially to accomodate full boils)
Bottles (most kits come with bottlecaps)

I think that midwest has complete kits with EVERYTHING (including bottles and kettle)
-Me

I'd maybe go check out one of the popular homebrew shops near your area. Cap N Cork or something like that rings a bell. You can check out the equipment kits and chat with the people in the store.

Do a google search on detroit homebrew supply.

I'd say keep checking Craig's List since you are talking CHristmas time. If nothing shows up by November, I'd go the beginner kit from one of the on line suppliers (I like Northern Brewer) or your local home brew supply store if they carry equipment.

I went with the deluxe kit from NB and it has two carboys (5 & 6 1/2 gal) all the plumbing & racking tools, thermometer & hydro, bottling bucket & capper. Plenty to start with and easy to add on to or improve.

Sounds excellent everybody. I'll keep checking around and even head up to the cap n cork this Saturday. I've been thinking about this for a long time now (check my join date) and it looks like it's finally going to happen.

Sounds excellent everybody. I'll keep checking around and even head up to the cap n cork this Saturday. I've been thinking about this for a long time now (check my join date) and it looks like it's finally going to happen.

Dude WHAT???!!! Been here since 2006 and you STILL havent taken the plunge? :p

I suggest going balls deep then for your initial purchase.
Brewtus 20 and a couple of conicals sounds about right ;) Ill even let you store them at MY place to conserve space for you :)
-Me

Maybe in the near future but it seems I have a lot of other expensive hobbies (aquariums, woodworking, jeeps and a girlfriend) but I really need to get this one going this year so I can have good beer all the time.:rockin:

Find and join a local HomeBrew club. The members will be a great resource for used brew equipment, plus you'll get to sample some great beer, and you'll meet some interesting people.

If there's a good deal on brewing supplies, you'll probably hear about it via the club's network first.

Oh, one other thing that you'll need... a credit card with a six digit limit. This hobby needs a good financial support program. Good Luck...

There are a couple homebrew shops in your area. I used to goto the one on Mound road (Somewhere between 12 and 14mile road) I am sure that they can hook you up with everything to make and bottle your first extract beer. As for kegging, you will find a better deal at Midwest Supplies or KegConnection.

I would recomend starting with extract usign a 4gal stockpot (I got my first stainles for less than $50)

+1 for getting together with am homebrew club. Almost any club will let you come to a function or meeting without making you join.

Back