Lazy Mutt at Taste of the Mid west LOL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I can not believe that the very worst beer in the world will be on display at the Great Taste of the Midwest. Lazy Mutt - seriously - I have NEVER known anyone to finish a bottle of this garbage.

I can not understand how they can sell this stuff.

LOL I was just reading the reviews on that stuff and wow, I wonder how they can get someone to distribute that stuff.

I tried a bit at a Sentry grocery store in Madison. The guy with the samples said the company was trying to compete with New Glarus. I said good luck and moved on. I honestly can't remember what it tasted like but it wasn't memorable.

YEA - I heard the New Glarus thing also. hukdizzle - after I collected an 8 pack of have full bottles of Mutt I read the reviews on Beer Advocate and I 100% agree.

My first reaction is "Is it suppose to taste this way?" then "This beer is infected".

The taste is a little sour at first, but goes straight downhill from there. I really don't know how to explain the taste, other than just plain terrible. The aftertaste sticks around for thirty minutes and is not pleasant. There's hardly any feel to be had.

All in all this is the worst beer I can remember ever drinking. The worst part is the aftertaste that sticks with you. I see no reason why anyone would pay to drink this beer.

Poured into a pint, really cloudy, like unfiltered apple juice.
I thought at first that it was tainted or rotten, but after reading the other reviews it appears that it's just really terrible. Not much more to say about it, avoid at all cost.

Dammit, this is horrible. I am seriously wondering if these aren't spoiled. By far and away the WORST beer I have ever tried. i would be sentenced to a liefetime of Mich Ultra, than to try this **** again.

It almost makes you want to try it doesn't it LOL

I got suckered into the "8 Beers in a 6 pack" marketing ploy. Agree with everything above.

I know a few guys who have had their fair share of Mountain Creek, which is another beer by the same brewery. Mountain Creek is sold in flats of 4x 6-packs for $6.99. I'm not aware of another micro-brewery with such a wide marketing aim ($7 6 packs, and $7 cases).

Oh god these are rich.

Went looking for a decent local microbrew, and definetly picked up the wrong thing. After opening the first one, and taking a drink I nearly spit it out. This crap in a bottle should not be able to be given the name of a beer.

a: The appearance is just a bland yellow with no head.
s: It smells like sour apple juice.
t: The taste is so sour that I really dont think I can even finish the one I just opened.
m: Like I said earlier it tastes like sour apple juice in my mouth.
d: There is none what so ever.

If I had a time machine I would definetly go back 15 minutes and pick out something else. This is by far the worst beer I have ever drank in my life. Milwaukee's Best is seriously a much better beer than this crap.

Jeez, I don't know what to say. I feel like a was a volunteer in a cruel medical experiment. I picked it up because it had a great gimmick, an eight pack for a six pack price. Sounded good at the time but now I have to dump out seven beers instead of five.

Poured into a pint, really cloudy, like unfiltered apple juice.
I thought at first that it was tainted or rotten, but after reading the other reviews it appears that it's just really terrible. Not much more to say about it, avoid at all cost.

I can't even break this one out with the normal A S T M D. It's usless to try.

This **** was piss yellow, no head, sour--almost like putrifed fruit tasting. They call this **** a "farmhouse" ale. Tastes more like a ****house ale. It's like maybe spoiled apple juice.? Yucko. I can't believe the brewmasters let this stuff go to packaging, and sale.

Wow. I have an 8 pack of these, 7 are left. Anyone want them? Could not get past the 2nd sip, 1st time I actually poured a beer down the drain. Tossing the remaining 7 in the trash.

Dammit, this is horrible. I am seriously wondering if these aren't spoiled. By far and away the WORST beer I have ever tried. i would be sentenced to a liefetime of Mich Ultra, than to try this **** again.

Very poor effort, Minhas. Shame.

Lemony gold... that was pristine until I let a single ounce too many slip into the glass. A dark, murky, tornado-like cloud is now slowly oozing downward and is fouling the perfect clarity of the beer. The bright white head looks incredibly cheap, has the texture of your average BMC light lager (worse actually), is a thin film inside of two minutes and leaves no lace. *This* is a saison?

In a blind smell test, I would have said cider with as many guesses as I was given. Not sweet apple cider, but the cider/perry that used to be reviewed on this site. LMFA is sour apple-like and smells nothing at all like beer, much less like a farmhouse ale. I'm not looking forward to tipping up the glass.

Lazy Mutt tastes like a mixture of Bud Light, Woodchuck Cider, lemon juice and a few packets of sugar. This is, by a few thousand miles, the worst saison that I've ever had and is one of the most pathetic representations of its respective style in recent memory.

I've pretty much described the flavor profile, but here are the specifics: stale grain soaked in dirty rain water, green apples, lemon juice and a small shot of Karo syrup thinned with mineral water. How could this stuff have gotten by the taste testers? Gack. The bottle cap and the label read 'Man's Best Friend'. More like 'A BA's Worst Enemy'.

As if it matters, the vital statistics are as follows: pale malt, caramel malt, Vienna malt, wheat malt, flaked barley, Galena hops, Tettnang hops, 4.82% ABV and 7 IBUs. It sure as hell doesn't taste like those ingredients came anywhere near this bottle.

The body/mouthfeel is exceptionally light, fades to frankly watery on the brief finish and has a decent amount of fine-gauged carbonation that does nothing to give volume to the beer. This Mutt just lays on the tongue, whimpers once and then slinks away with its tail between its legs.

Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale is 'the flagship brand of Minhas Craft Brewery'. Well boys, it looks like your ship is sinking. By the way, don't expect anyone with a single functioning taste bud to help bale. Horrendous is an understatement.

Tried this from a friend's 8-pack for four dollars in Atlanta.

Wow, it's hard to really get a good feel for this beer as you just want to drink it as fast as possible - and not in a good way.

It's a cloudy champagne color, and the head disappears soon after it's poured. It smells a little fruity, but a lot like hot wings.

The taste is a little sour at first, but goes straight downhill from there. I really don't know how to explain the taste, other than just plain terrible. The aftertaste sticks around for thirty minutes and is not pleasant. There's hardly any feel to be had.

All in all this is the worst beer I can remember ever drinking. The worst part is the aftertaste that sticks with you. I see no reason why anyone would pay to drink this beer.

Yeah I definitely want to put this on my bucket list [/sarcasm] but it sounds like drinking it would probably kill me anyway.

Thanks for the warning, Grinder.

Believe it or not, their "1845 Pils" is even worse. Imagine that sour taste, with a bit of diacetyl thrown in.

Unlike a lot of folks here, I enjoy my share of BMC/macro beers, and I'm always up for giving a newfound beer a try. A while back I tried the Mountain Creek/Crest (whatever they call it). Kinda corny sweet, with maybe some diacetyl. Can't remember if there was the sourness though. Wholy unimpressive (unpleasant..?) either way.

Earlier this year, my wife and I happened to be in the area and stopped by the brewery. We missed the tour, but the truly pleasant fellow in the gift shop invited us into their bar for a couple of samples. I ordered a Berghoff Porter (I think), and my wife ordered their 1845 Pils. The porter wasn't half bad, if just a little watery. However, even ice cold out of the tap the Pils didn't taste right. I thought diacetyl right away. The fellow asked how I liked it, and I pretty much choked down what I wanted to say and told him it was great. Being the nice folks we are, we got a growler of the porter and a couple of 8 packs of Pils (for some reason) and Lazy Mutt. They both had that sour taste, though I'd say the Mutt was marginally better (kinda like getting kicked in the shin is better than getting kicked in the nards). Funny thing is, the label says the Pils is their brewmaster's dream-come-true - must've been a nightmare. It's barely what I'd call a Pilsner, much less a good Pilsner. They also say to serve it ice cold. Guess that's to help keep the rancid flavors in check. I took some to my Father-in-law to try, and he was equally unimpressed. He said I could open a brewery next to theirs and blow them out of the water (I hardly consider myself a great brewer BTW).

Fast forward a few months and I find a six-pack of Berghoff Pale Ale at the store. Of course, I know that Minhas is now brewing Berghoff, but based on the porter, I figured the recipes would be somewhat isolated. I've had Berghoff before: not exactly "craft" beer, just a regular old American brew. Well, I was shocked to find that this beer had the same exact sour flavor (and little else)! I would wager anybody that, in a blind taste test, they couldn't tell the difference between the Minhas Lazy Mutt and Pils, and the Berghoff Pale Ale.

It seems this company is focused on gimicky advertising while putting little effort into the actual product. They use lots of exclaimation points in their copy, and make fanciful claims as to the quality of their beer. Of course, they're still in business. Maybe there is money to be made by focusing on the lowest common denominator. Real shame that they're risking taking down the names of Berghoff and Huber with them.

After reading this thread, I actually want to try this. Just to see if it's actually that bad.

Great beer review here...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctSoWYIyfas]YouTube - MTK Beer Review: Lazy Mutt[/ame]

DEUCE.

Hey, if you're gonna not know what you're talking about with beer, you should at least be as enthusiastic as that guy.

Can't agree with his review of Lazy Mutt, but nice delivery. Did you check out any of his other vids? That guy is hilarious! He should be on TV, or a writer or something.

I can not agree that Minha's is all that bad. Yes Lazy Mutt is just another "ok" beer. It definitely is not my first choice. With much regret i must admit my hometown brew is brewed in Monroe. (Rhinelander Beer) However with that being said they do make some decent beer. Try any of Rhinelander Craft Brews and you find out that Minhas can brew a very good beer. They brew Chocolate Bunny which is a chocolate stout, Mystical Jack(my favorite) that is called a traditional ale, Imperial Jack an "amreican IPA", and Thumper a Double IPA. All four are very good beers. Minhas may not be the best brewery in the world but hey they do make some very decent brews.

Back