How much burned extract is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedIrocZ-28

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The reason I ask is because I seemingly made a n00b mistake yesterday whilst brewing my BIG Russian Imperial Stout extract kit (1.070-1.080 OG per the instructions). I know that I did everything like I have been the last few batches I made, did nothing different except that I added the LME without the burners on, yes I normally do it with them cranking full tilt and have yet to have seen any evidence of burning. This time I ended up with roughly 6 square inches (not 6 inches square) of burned extract on the bottom of the pot. Granted there was a lot of LME in this kit ( 6.6lbs LME, 2lbs specialty steeping grains, 2lbs Dark DME) but what I am guessing is that I returned it to the heat too quickly and there was a film on the bottom of the pot which scorched, in the shape of the burner...

So, whats your story, how much burned extract have you made appear on your pot and how did the beer turn out?

I'd think if you were making a lager, etc. you might have an issue - but the flavors in a russian imperial stout are just about as tolerant as it can get... meaning, if there was a batch of beer that was tough to ruin flavorwise, that'll be it.
Just my opinion.
The reason I ask is because I seemingly made a n00b mistake yesterday whilst brewing my BIG Russian Imperial Stout extract kit (1.070-1.080 OG per the instructions). I know that I did everything like I have been the last few batches I made, did nothing different except that I added the LME without the burners on, yes I normally do it with them cranking full tilt and have yet to have seen any evidence of burning. This time I ended up with roughly 6 square inches (not 6 inches square) of burned extract on the bottom of the pot. Granted there was a lot of LME in this kit ( 6.6lbs LME, 2lbs specialty steeping grains, 2lbs Dark DME) but what I am guessing is that I returned it to the heat too quickly and there was a film on the bottom of the pot which scorched, in the shape of the burner...

So, whats your story, how much burned extract have you made appear on your pot and how did the beer turn out?

Yeah, I was not that angry when I saw the burned extract yesterday, I knew that with such a strong beer the taste would be forgiving. At least this is my brain works... I was making an educated guess about it. Usually my guesses are pretty spot on. But it feels better having you tell me this. Its kinda like the difference in feeling between when the local bar skank tells you that you look good or Having Brittney Spears (before she went nuts) telling you that look good.

*sigh of relief*

You're dealing with a RIS, I have a feeling that with enough conditioning and aging you will never notice. I think the biggest problem is that you will like it so much you will never be able to re-create that level of carmelization in it the next time you make it.

:D

I think the biggest problem is that you will like it so much you will never be able to re-create that level of carmelization in it the next time you make it.

:D

Hell, if I like it that much then the next time I brew this I'll get out a spoon and dump some DME in it and hold that thing over a burner like a Heroin addict.

Hell, if I like it that much then the next time I brew this I'll get out a spoon and dump some DME in it and hold that thing over a burner like a Heroin addict.

That's probably actually not a bad idea. Hey I wonder if an all extract beer can be made by taking some of the DME (or I guess lme) and carmalizing some of it on purpose and adding it back into the kettle...People do that in some AG beers...I wonder if the same thing could be done with extracts.

(I'll have to add that to the experiment list)

A method that i use when putting in LARGE amounts of LME is this:

I take a pot and fill it with hot water from the sink (hottest I can get...but I don't boil it.) I then place the container of LME in the hot water to liquify the extract. It makes pouring it MUCH easierand it liquifies much quicker in the boil.

This time I ended up with roughly 6 square inches (not 6 inches square) of burned extract on the bottom of the pot.

As a side question (AKA threadjack), this happened to me yesterday as well on a different beer. How do you get those scorch marks off the inside bottom of the kettle?

SOS pads work for me. I always get a tiny bit of scorch (exact same shape as my burner). I need to try and find a nice plate of aluminum- on my experiment list :)

As a side question (AKA threadjack), this happened to me yesterday as well on a different beer. How do you get those scorch marks off the inside bottom of the kettle?

Following up here, putting some oxyclean and water in the pot for a day will make it sparkle again.

There is nothing oxyclean cannot do. It should run for president.

Following up here, putting some oxyclean and water in the pot for a day will make it sparkle again.

Bar Keeper's Friend will do it in about ten seconds flat. I have burned the holy hell out of my SS pans while cooking and BKF takes it off in a flash. Hell, even the scorch on the underside of the pans will start to come off without much effort.

Back