200,000 BTU natural gas burner!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the big one and it boils 55 gallonsin 40 mins and I MEAN BOILS. The only pitfall with these are the jets. If one is brokin it will kick out a yellow flame which isnt very hot. Now here is the real kicker. You cannot replace the high pressure nozzles ie jets. So if one breaks from mishandling you have to buy a whole new burner. However I guess you could soder it shut.

Meh... have Yuri machine you a new jet... he's mastered it.

I did...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/my-stuff-rig-through-pub-117869/

Nothing too detailed but you'll get the general idea. It all still needs to be cleaned up a lot but it is functional as a mofo at this point. Lemme know if you want some better pics or explanations on how I did anything.

Nice set up you have.

My NG service enters the house next to the patio. You have a flex pipe that you use in doors from the NG to the rig.

1) Can I use that same flex pipe outdoors?
2) I would need it to be around 20ft as I would also like to use my rig in the garage during winter months. Is that doable? And, would I need a plumber or can I do it myself?

3) How do I figure out what size pipe and fixtures to use? Does it relate to the burners and BTU's?

TY

Nice set up you have.

My NG service enters the house next to the patio. You have a flex pipe that you use in doors from the NG to the rig.

1) Can I use that same flex pipe outdoors?
2) I would need it to be around 20ft as I would also like to use my rig in the garage during winter months. Is that doable? And, would I need a plumber or can I do it myself?

3) How do I figure out what size pipe and fixtures to use? Does it relate to the burners and BTU's?

TY

Copy and paste the above into that thread... I don't want to hijack this one.

BTW, beware if tapping your home's NG system with a 200 or 300k burner. Your meter may not be sized for such radical flow. I know I had to have mine upgraded when I went to a 200k BTU tankless water heater and a similarly crazy 5 burner gas grill.

BTW, beware if tapping your home's NG system with a 200 or 300k burner. Your meter may not be sized for such radical flow. I know I had to have mine upgraded when I went to a 200k BTU tankless water heater and a similarly crazy 5 burner gas grill.

Sized in which party's favor? I have a feeling it would be towards utilities.

Who paid for the upgrade?

Sized in which party's favor? I have a feeling it would be towards utilities.

Who paid for the upgrade?

There was a fee to upgrade the meter. The original was not capable of handling the 135k BTU grill and the tankless hot water heater so upgrade required. The limit your flow at the meter in our area.

Completely agree, but the electric company is no different if you want them to come out and upgrade your service.

I had a problem with not having enough natural gas volume/pressure whatever to my brew stand. I needed 25' of hose to get from my gas hookup to the end of my garage. At first I tried the Charbroil brand, approved for natural gas hook up hose that you get from lowes, the real high dollar crap. I had to buy three sections of it. When I hooked it up, there was way too much pressure drop, so I bought 25' of 3/4" ID PVC flexible hose, and that big diameter ID hose took care of all my ills. You may want to try going bigger in size if you haven't already.

From the research I did, PVC is impervious to natural gas, unlike EPDM rubber, which is rated to have a severe reaction with natural gas. I know some people that do use rubber and have not had a problem though.

I bought one of these and it came cracked, with natural gas shooting out the bottom.

Tried to braze it but the thin cast iron just kept cracking under the heat pressure. I realize they're cheap but in a lot of brewing environments that kind of bad casting could be really dangerous: you don't notice a little crack on your burner that doesn't light right away on low gas pressure, and then you aren't watching the flame as it heats up the metal around it and the crack gets bigger and bigger until you have an open gas pipe on fire instead of a controlled series of jet burners.

Plus NG is cheaper than LP, and no bother having to run to the store to refill a cylinder.

NG only has about 30-40% of the energy, per cubic foot of gas, of propane though. so if the price was 60-70% less, it would really be on par.

propane is compressible into liquid though, so you can fit more of it in a smaller space, which is why it is popular in portable tanks.

NG is also a greenhouse gas (if it is released without burning). propane is not classified as harmful to the environment.

NG only has about 30-40% of the energy, per cubic foot of gas, of propane though. so if the price was 60-70% less, it would really be on par.
If you convert to an energy unit, the comparison is much easier. Currently, NG is ~1/2 the cost of LP, and LP is ~1/2 the cost of electricity, for the same amount of energy. $NG = 2*$LP = 4*$Elec (approximate, of course). It is easy to find comparisons in your favorite energy unit of choice.

Hey guys, how would one make use of these burners sans brew sculpture? Anyone know of any sources for small, floor stands that they can be mounted in? Or is everyone here a sculpture owner?

I've never owned a home, and it's been awhile since I lived with my family (10 years) in one. It's been apartments. Where I'm moving this summer has natural gas - will any rental home have a hookup, or only some?

How does that work?

I know when we buy a home in 2 years or so we'll buy one with natural gas, and I'll pay for a hookup if need be.

Is it pretty easy to convert propane systems to natural gas? It's really just changing burners out, or a conversion kit of some sort right?

Back